Chick with very injured leg, please help!!

He could be a mix with a 5 toed gene in his history. But for bumblefoot, I would start by bring him into a warm hose, and soaking his foot daily in warm Epsom salts water. What are your temperatures like there? A mixture of Betadine and sugar, made into a paste can be applied to the bumble and dressed for 2-3 days, changing it, to soften the scab in order to remove it and press out any pus inside. Prid drawing salve also works that way.

He could be a mix with a 5 toed gene in his history. But for bumblefoot, I would start by bring him into a warm hose, and soaking his foot daily in warm Epsom salts water. What are your temperatures like there? A mixture of Betadine and sugar, made into a paste can be applied to the bumble and dressed for 2-3 days, changing it, to soften the scab in order to remove it and press out any pus inside. Prid drawing salve also works that way.
Sure! I’ll try that. Thanks for your help too. I’ll just wash his foot first and decide what I’ll do from there

IMG_0406.jpeg

He could be a mix with a 5 toed gene in his history. But for bumblefoot, I would start by bring him into a warm hose, and soaking his foot daily in warm Epsom salts water. What are your temperatures like there? A mixture of Betadine and sugar, made into a paste can be applied to the bumble and dressed for 2-3 days, changing it, to soften the scab in order to remove it and press o
any pus inside. Prid drawing salve also works that way.
Okay so after soaking and cleaning his foot up with a qtip, we had a closer look. It doesn’t seem like bumblefoot at all.

His bad leg just stays up while the other stays close to his body, even when upside down (for cleaning). He didn’t yell out while we were cleaning his foot, except when touched in one area (circled with red). When he walks, he doesn’t put pressure on that leg. Could it be partly dislocated?

Attachments

• IMG_0406.jpeg
    IMG_0406.jpeg
    341.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0402.jpeg
    IMG_0402.jpeg
    299.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0401.jpeg
    IMG_0401.jpeg
    340.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0404.jpeg
    IMG_0404.jpeg
    411.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0407.jpeg
    IMG_0407.jpeg
    350.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0408.jpeg
    IMG_0408.jpeg
    353.9 KB · Views: 3
View attachment 3730165

Okay so after soaking and cleaning his foot up with a qtip, we had a closer look. It doesn’t seem like bumblefoot at all.

His bad leg just stays up while the other stays close to his body, even when upside down (for cleaning). He didn’t yell out while we were cleaning his foot, except when touched in one area (circled with red). When he walks, he doesn’t put pressure on that leg. Could it be partly dislocated?

Maybe he has injured himself or has a slipped tendon. There is a tendon that runs over the hock joint there that can sometimes come out of place in young birds and is very painful. If you use your thumb on the back hock joint of his good leg, try to feel where the tendon is. Then feel on his bad leg and see if it’s slipped to one side and if you can slip it back in. Then it needs to be splinted in place.

View attachment 3730165

Oh I was thinking it was a Watership Down reference
IT IS TOO!! He was the smallest and I thought it suited him even more with his 5 toes

T
Maybe he has injured himself or has a slipped tendon. There is a tendon that runs over the hock joint there that can sometimes come out of place in young birds and is very painful. If you use your thumb on the back hock joint of his good leg, try to feel where the tendon is. Then feel on his bad leg and see if it’s slipped to one side and if you can slip it back in. Then it needs to be splinted in place.
Thanks so much for your help! I might try this and see how it goes. I’ll keep you updated.

Sometimes that’s best. I’ve never had to deal with a slipped tendon but from what I’ve read they can be tricky to treat successfully.
So I took him to the person and she said it could be a ligament or tendon issue, since his leg was hanging so limply. It’s probably gotten worse since he’s growing so rapidly. It could either heal or get worse, so fingers crossed:fl

Back
Top Bottom