Chick with weak leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by NewToFarming, Jul 16, 2011.

1. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    I have a chicken that has a weak leg or legs. She will be 3 months old soon. It is hard to tell if it is both or if it is because the one gives out on her. I could not feel anything broken. What does it look like if they stretched a tendon or ligament at the knee. That is where it seems to give out on her. She is getting around but she definitely walks funny and I can see it give out on her at times. If this could be what it is, what is the treatment and should a brace be put on her or him?

2. froggiesheins

froggiesheins Overrun With Chickens

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    If it were my birdie I would try a splint to help support, as to what it could be I could not help you there......check the forum. I also bumped you forward so that some one else could be more help. Good luck.

3. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    Thanks! I do have a question about splinting. How do they lay down if it is splinted. Do you allow it to bend at the knee joint. I tried to search for things but really couldn't find if you should splint it straight or make a splint for the top and bottom allowing the knee to bend. It seems like her knees are what is weak though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by