Chick wont stop peeping.

Taniam

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 26, 2012
Hi there. We have three chicks all born the same day. They are about 10 days old. One of them doest stopping peeping constantly. The other two dont really make much noise at all. The other two a bigger than little peep. They are all eating and sleeping. I wonder why it would make so much noise and why its so much smaller. I have watched them all and when the two biggest ones go to sleep they lay down and "little peep" stands up and tucks her head onto the back of one of the others. Why would this happen? Does anyone know please?

Typically constant peeping, especially if a bit agitated, means discomfort, usually not enough warmth. But if your lamp is good and the chick isn't stayiing huddled beneath it, then it might be other issues related to that chick being the runt (since you mentioned it's very small). If you don't have a feather duster in there, you might try hanging one so that the tiny chick can seek comfort, which it sounds like it's trying to do by cuddling with the other chick)...or a fluffy stuffed animal...

Mine peep like that when they are too cold.

I put my heat lamp in the corner of the brooder. I will lower or raise the lamp according to the chicks actions. I put it in the corner of the brooder so if it's too warm they can move away from the heat.

Also they will peep loudly if they are not buddied up with one another. I will stick a stuffed animal in there where they all can climb up. If one is being left out, they peep loudly too.

I'm going to be blunt. If all three chicks are the same breed and should be the same size, it is extremely likely that something is seriously wrong with that chick. If it could be a bantam and the others are not, then it could be a different story. There is a lot I don't know about your situation.

I've had a runt before. The same parents as other chicks but it was always small from shortly after hatch. By the time I processed it at 18 weeks (I was not going to let it breed) it was maybe 1/3 the size of the other roosters it hatched with. Some of its internal organs were very small, even considering proportions relative to its small body size. It behaved normally though, not like your chick.

That constant peeping means it is in some type of distress. If the others are not cold, I would not think cold is your problem. It could be something physical, like it is in pain or maybe hungry or thirsty. There could be an internal restriction in its digestive sytem. It may be something emotional, like it does not realize there are other chicks in there. Maybe it is blind? That might explain a few things. Maybe it is mentally off? I've had some really mentally challenged hens before. It could be about anything.

I don't know your reasons for having chickens. That is your business. I'm not telling you that you need to put it out if its misery. It may outgrow whatever is distressing it. I sure can't tell you what you need to do. But I will suggest that if your goals include breeding chickens, that one should not be allowed to breed if it makes it.

Good luck.

Thank you so much everyone. Very helpful answers. I never realised that you could put toys in with them. Thats neat. And yes, I believe they are all warm enough. Will take everyones ideas on board. Thank you.

Just a guess, but it isn't pasted shut by any chance? I had a terrible time keeping my super fluffy silkie chicks from pooping themselves up tight. If I couldn't go to the bathroom and was hurting, I imagine I would stand up and make a bunch of noise. I hope it turns out alright!

Just a guess, but it isn't pasted shut by any chance? I had a terrible time keeping my super fluffy silkie chicks from pooping themselves up tight. If I couldn't go to the bathroom and was hurting, I imagine I would stand up and make a bunch of noise. I hope it turns out alright!
Good point...do check her/him for pasty butt!!

I have had that happen a couple times in the past, they just don't seem to thrive they eat and drink but do not grow etc, and continue to peep. Eventually they just die something obviously was wrong with them from the start, nothing could be done for them. I hope this will not be the case with your chick.

Scifisarah ...it was pasted up about 6 days ago and I cleaned it away. Its pooing ok now though. Do people put any type of toys (other than stuffed toys) in with the chicks? Would they play with anything as it must be rather boring? Looking forward to replies.

Back
Top Bottom