Chicken acting like it's drunk???

Lmarie

Songster
11 Years
Jan 3, 2009
Way Over Yonder, GA
Ha yall!
My one year old Wyandotte is having a little difficulty walking.. She walks like she is drunk!It was kinda funny at first until she hasnt stopped doing it since 2 days ago. I'm afraid something is wrong. When she runs over to me, she'll fall over on one side, use her wing to push back up, and try to run over again. She hasn't had any recent trauma, and the liquoris high up.
wink.png
but it seems really weird. She keeps losing balance while sitting still too. Like she's about to sit down on her butt.
Weird, but wondering if anyone has any ideas....
Thanks
Lauren
big_smile.png

There are quite a few threads on just this thing. If you can search on the site it may be benificial. Loook at the top of the index for Frequent Questions, it tell you how to do a search.

Since i do not have any experience with this I really can not help you. I am sure there are others on here that will chime in.

Good Luck with your Chock

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a pullet that started to do that and hasn't stopped in a few months. But before that, I had a hen start to do this, and it turned out it was sour crop. I never would have guessed these symptoms go with a crop issue, but they did!

There's a bunch of different things that could be causing this from a lack of vitamin E to intracranial lipomas. Does she look like she has a stiff neck?

I have a crested peking duck with the brain lipomas who does the exact same thing from time to time. Most of the time she's fine but does have an occasional "spell" where she walks funny, sometimes falls over and can't get back up, once in a great while she actually has a seizure.

My vet says she's not in any pain, the lipomas can shrink or enlarge at anytime and to just let her live a normal life with the rest of my flock. Guess her biggest danger would be having a seizure while in the pond and drowning.

Hope this helps.

I'm hoping she'll get over it shorly, but everything else seems fine. Eats fine, grooms good.. Just had me curious. There probably is 500 different things it could be. Just my luck! LOL
big_smile.png

check the hen's crop...
at roost time, it should be full..
recheck in the morning..it should feel empty or flat.
feel for any lumps or grainy feeling. or any odor.

check the bottom of her feet for any sores or scabs.

what all do you feed the chickens?
has she been wormed? if so when? and what was used?

try and get some poultry vitamins..in the meantime you can use Poly-vi-sol liquid baby vitamins (no iron)..2 drops once a day on beak for a week, then 1 drop for another week.

make up this mixture and give for a week or so.:
cooked egg yolk
layer feed
a little water cooked oatmeal
plain yogurt
make puffy not soupy.
vitamins in drinking water or Poly-vi-sol.

make up about 1 cup a day and give to the hen 3 times a day along with regular feed and water.
she might have rickets..this treatment will help..

What did you do to stop it. I've been reading and their were two comments of a vitamin b deficiency or a high protein deficiency. I have two roosters doing this not hens. So they all recommended cat food. I gave them some dry cat food and they cobbled it up. I see how it works

Back
Top Bottom