Chicken acting not right

So update: Bella is still not walking. Her toes on left foot are curled. Not right foot . She is walking on her hocks on left. It has been a struggle to get the vitamin b into her as well as the poultry cell. She does not like either one and is very difficult with the process. She laid a second egg yesterday. She will eat scrambled eggs and treats but not too much feed. We are going to try some different feeds to get her excited maybe. We have been adding water to the henhouse reserve and she does not like that too much either. It is quite a struggle to get her to take what is needed. Any suggestions on getting the vitamin b or poultry cell into her?

Poultry Cell dose is 1cc per 3 pounds of weight given orally once a day.
B-Complex is 1/4 tablet given once a day.

Draw up the correct dose of liquid Poultry Cell into a syringe. Swaddle your hen in a towel if necessary so you have more control over her. Pull down on the wattles, dose her with the vitamins.
For the 1/4 tablet, pull down on the wattles, pop the tablet into the beak, immediately let go of the wattles and let her swallow.

Photo tutorial and video in the link below.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

Bella is alert and normal in every way except her leg. We started the vitamin B a couple of days ago and trying very hard to get the poultry cell into her although she absolutely hates it! We are doing our best but are completely lost as to what her issue is. Injury, Vitamin B issues or Marek's although she does not seem to have any other illness kind of symptoms. She has normal poops, laying eggs and cheerful and bright eyed, just can walk on that left leg. appreciate all your comments to helps us... really are very unsure of what her issue is . for now we will continue vitamin B and try the poultry cell , scrambled eggs, nutritional yeast etc

We are seeing some improvement in Bella. We have been really getting the vitamins into her and today she was up all the way in her legs. Legs stretched fully out and toes straight out not curling as much. She has been taking vitamin B , poultry cell and scrambled eggs loaded up with nutritional yeast and her feed . Bright eyed, laying eggs still and starting to move and walk a little more. She still struggles with strength in left leg but definitely improving!

Glad that you are seeing improvement. Adding water to the crumble and some scrambled egg bits will hopefully, eventually get her wanting to eat the new chicken feed.

It has been two and a half weeks of vitamin b and poultry cell and vitamin rich foods. Definitely improving and walking about 5 steps and standing a great deal. Bella walks odd . She walks on her toes kind of. She was not walking at all so it is much improved but wondering if this is what you see after riboflavin deficiency. We will keep on with the vitamins and am pretty sure it is either a deficiency or injury and thankfully not merek as it is improving greatly and not getting worse. Does anyone know if this is what you would see in how they walk from a deficiency? Eating and happy and bright eyed in other ways!

I really don't know if the tip toe walking is from deficiency, something neurological or just a stage of recovery. I've seen videos of it before.
Now. Whether it's the vitamins, time or both that are factors in recovery - I don't know that either.
Birds with Marek's can also "recover" as well, so getting better doesn't completely rule out Marek's disease.

Anyway! I'm glad she's showing some improvement. I'd keep giving the vitamins and encouraging her to move/use her legs and see how it goes.

So update: Bella seems healthy but still not walking great. She stands on her legs but after walking a bit her toes seem to curl and she struggles. She looks great , happy eating and we are still doing vitamins . She lays eggs pretty regularly . She is still on her own in a separate coop. We take her out daily to the grass and she loves that. Question: we still have no idea what is wrong with her. We thought of building a mother in law suite to our outside coop where she can be out and around other chickens but worried if it is something they could get. We also have chicks arriving later this month and also worry about the same with them. I do not know if it is an injury , vitamins , congenital , or mareks . She had improved and is better but not yet normal. Suggestions?.

Attachments

• IMG_6934.jpeg
    IMG_6934.jpeg
    375.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6933.jpeg
    IMG_6933.jpeg
    670.3 KB · Views: 4
Is the toe curling in both or one foot? Is she bullied if you keep her with the flock or allow visits with them? I would continue the b vitamins.
The curled toes are in both feet and honestly do not seem improving. She is happy, eating and laying eggs but has curled toes and not walking well. Here is another question: should I worry about her being in same area ( not same coop) as our new chicks that are coming next week. We have had Bella in her own coop and are planning on building her a handicap coop . Since we have no clue why she has the curled toes I am just worried. We have religiously did the vitamins. Wondering if not enough or maybe an injury that happened that might not improve. Any help would be appreciated

Back
Top Bottom