Chicken acting odd?

DocWhosChickens

In the Brooder
Oct 7, 2015
Southwest MS
So I took over as caretaker at a small farm with several flocks. One flock consists of bantams. There are two hens that were picked on so we segregated them(together) into an adjoining run(alongside the other bantams) they have been together for about a year now. Unfortunately, one suddenly passed a couple of days ago (waiting for necropsy). Now the hen remaining is acting oddly. Not sure if I should be worried? Could she just be upset her only flock mate is gone?

She certainly would miss her friend and will act either scared or depressed. How is she acting?

Sorry for the late reply, I had a bit of a crazy weekend!

She was holding her head down a lot, acting lethargic, not putting up a fight when I went to hold her (all things the other bantam did before she passed). I am still waiting on results so I have separated her to an area inside. She seems to be doing fine now, but follows me around constantly and throws a fit ( I mean, full on cackle/screams) when she can't see me. This is also strange, because she went from hating to be held to practically demanding it. She is actually sitting on my lap as I type.

I'm glad she seems to be fine, but I'm still confused about her new attachment to me.

My thought are you are all she is familiar with, chickens need other chickens, you have probably become her chicken.

As odd as it sounds, I'm ok with being her chicken. I'm moving back to NC and just learned the city allows chickens (no limit and roosters allowed... I'm in trouble lol!) She still seems to be doing great, alert and hungry so I'm more at ease. Thanks for the replies everyone!

Back
Top Bottom