Chicken acting oddly

Punkyv

Hatching
8 Years
Feb 10, 2011
Hello,
I have three ladies that used to be inseparable. They would share the same nesting box, walk the yard together (they are free to roam the whole yard all day until night when I lock them in the coop)...
Now one has separated, does not sleep w/ the others, stays in her nesting box all day unless I drag her out (figuratively) and then she will walk around for about 5 min then straight back into her box.
When I go near her in the coop she fluffs up her feathers & "crabs" at me. This has been going on for a little over a week. She seems to be eating, because I put food in front of her like blueberries, sunflower seeds, her feed... She has always been my consistent layer, 1 per day, but today it was elongated w/ ridges.The ladies were purchased together and are about 8 mo old.

Any observations would be very helpful.
Thank you!!!

p.s. I noticed a hawk once about 4 days ago but have not seen since. Could he have scared her?

I have never had or even been around a broody hen, but what you are describing sounds like broody hens I have read about here. I am sure someone with REAL experience will chime in soon and verify this.

Sounds like a broody hen. If she otherwise shows no signs of illness that's very likely.

I had a white rock go broody for almost 8 weeks, I just kept removing the eggs and pushing her butt out the coop door. If you want chicks put some fertile eggs under her, or if you time it right you can try live day old chicks (search for more on this).

If you don't want her broody you can try various methods to break her of it (plenty of those if you search), or just wait her out which I did with mine. It will eventually pass.

Whew~
yippiechickie.gif

I'm so glad it is normal!
Ok...I looked up what to do to break it. I'm not fond of separating her & putting her in a cage & we don't have a rooster so the eggs are not fertile.
Should I buy some babies & sneak them in under her? Will they get hurt by her or the other 2?
Thank you for ALL the advice!!!

Yep yep, you're describing classic broody. The only surefire way to fix it is to put chicks under her. There are a couple of methods that may fix her, but if she's super determined nothing short of babies or time will fix her.

Thank you all!
Luckily the feed store may get in day olds tomorrow so I will go that route.
fl.gif

Wish me luck, please???
Thanks!!!
frow.gif

Quote:
Good luck! Make sure you read up on introducing the little ones to the broody and make sure to have a back-up plan in case she rejects them. If that happens you'll need a brooder and heat lamp ready, but hopefully you'll have no problems!

Back
Top Bottom