Chicken acting weird

Nov 3, 2022
This is Hermes, I’m pretty sure she’s female and I’m unsure of how old she Is. She currently cannot stand or even sit, she just lays down on her side. She is refusing food and water and cannot hold her head up. Her head is jerking gently to one side, or side to side every now and then, or she puts her head up and her head falls back and she falls onto her back or other side. She was fine this morning, eating and drinking. She is fed and watered every morning + she gets scratch and sometimes crushed oyster shells. She at the moment does have mites but I put some medicine(the white powder) on her and it worked really well last time so I’m hoping it works again. She’s not egg bound but her bottom is slightly dirty. I am keeping her warm and trying to get her to drink and eat but I am unsure of what to do. I do not know her history and I’m very scared as to what this is. I helped her sit up after I took these pictures, each of these pictures is what she looks like after I help her sit down. She will flap her wings when she falls but cannot get back up. I’m super worried, this is serious but I do not know it is. She is breathing, even though it doesn’t look like it.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Mareks disease can cause many of her symptoms, including wry neck, lameness, and curled toe paralysis. But a head injury or vitamin E deficiency could too. Could she have gotten into some moldy food or compost bed? In her case, I would feed and water her often, and start some humans vitamins—400 IU of vitamin E softgel, some bits of scrambled egg for selenium , and 1/4 tablet of B complex daily. Was she completely normal including walking around this morning? Do you have a rooster or other chickens who might have beat her?

Mareks disease can cause many of her symptoms, including wry neck, lameness, and curled toe paralysis. But a head injury or vitamin E deficiency could too. Could she have gotten into some moldy food or compost bed? In her case, I would feed and water her often, and start some humans vitamins—400 IU of vitamin E softgel, some bits of scrambled egg for selenium , and 1/4 tablet of B complex daily. Was she completely normal including walking around this morning? Do you have a rooster or other chickens who might have beat her?
Unfortunately she passed a few minutes after i made this post but I am very open to learn because I am scared of this happening to my other chickens. It was very horrible, her neck basically flopped backwards, front and side to side until she stopped moving. We keep are food in a covered bin and none of it was moldy(I checked a couple minutes ago) when I let her out she was fine and even ran to me to get some scratch and I saw her drink. I do have a rooster, well too but one is a bantman but he’s never even mounted one of our hens and she had been getting along just fine with everyone. Is there any way to tell if it was mareks disease, I’ve heard it was contagious. Might I also note that her droppings were liquid and a bright green.

How long have you had her? Sorry that you lost her. If you can keep her body wrapped in clean garbage bags, and kept cold in a refrigerator or cooler on ice (do not freeze,) the state vet can do a necropsy on Monday am. Mareks testing can be done if it looks like Mareks to them, and it may be an extra charge. In what state are you? Some states, such as CA, very reasonable necropsies. Here is a list of state vets to contact:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

How long have you had her? Sorry that you lost her. If you can keep her body wrapped in clean garbage bags, and kept cold in a refrigerator or cooler on ice (do not freeze,) the state vet can do a necropsy on Monday am. Mareks testing can be done if it looks like Mareks to them, and it may be an extra charge. In what state are you? Some states, such as CA, very reasonable necropsies. Here is a list of state vets to contact:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html
Only a few months. I talked to a friend of mine and I think she may have had a heart attack but I can’t find any good resources to help me prove that and I don’t know what a chicken heart attack would look like, I heard it’s more common in meat chickens but she was not a meat chicken and was not stressed so I’m unsure of what could cause her sudden death and I just want to make sure my flock will be okay.

I think that an injury or Mareks would be more likely than a heart attack to cause the neurological symptoms before she died. A necropsy could rule out a few things. The sooner the body could reach the lab, the better the findings may be.

Back
Top Bottom