chicken adopted our yard

I kelsie I see you are the only one online at the moment so if you could take a look at my new thread & give me some advise I would truly appreciate it Thank you

Did you start a new thread elsewhere?

She would definitely be happier with a chicken buddy or two.

It would need to be an adult and a breed around the same size as her. They will fight at first to establish the pecking order. There are many threads you can find on this site regarding integrating birds.

When I integrate we keep them separated by wire but able to see one another for about a week. Then we slip them in together at night so they wake up together. It seems to help reduce the fighting and gives the new birds a week locked inside so they know where home is.

Now that I have finally caught my chicken after 3 months , you said that another chicken might help her calm down , so do I just get a chick or another grown one from some where?
Great that you finally caught her!!!! That is wonderful!!!

You can lay sand over concrete. Just make it deep. At least 4 or maybe 6 inches. Concrete is hard on the legs and feet, but 4 inches will pad her up good.

If you go with a chick or two, they will need to grow up before you can mix them with her. At least 3 months of age. If you get her another fully grown hen, make sure you are getting a healthy bird. You would keep her in a cage within the coop and run with your hen so they can get used to each other from behind wire for a couple weeks. Then you can mix them together. Just watch for aggression between the two. It shouldn't be to hard to mix one bird in with your hen. Two might be a bit more difficult.

Good luck with your newly found hen!!

Back
Top Bottom