Chicken Affection?

I’ve noticed the chickens are much more receptive to touch (or at least not freak out) if you cone up from below and pet bellies and crops, rather than from above on their backs.

Also, haven’t had broody hens before - do mommas preen their chicks?

Also, aren’t parrots way less pecking order motivated? I think their social structures are much different. I think in the wild parrots will come to the aid of a flock mate in distress? Chickens ... yeah, no. At least not that I’ve seen.
Parrots definitely have a pecking order...though it can sometimes turn into more of a "biting order" if someone wants to ignore warnings. The thing is, parrots pair bond, and are monogamous, so that changes the dynamic a lot.

I’ve noticed the chickens are much more receptive to touch (or at least not freak out) if you cone up from below and pet bellies and crops, rather than from above on their backs.

This is very true! I always approach my friendlier chickens from below. Coming from above scream's predator and they will run away. I squat down, lure them close with treats, then gently reach out and pick them up by putting one hand on each side of their legs/thighs, and it's go-time from there! My brahma will snuggle right down into my lap.

IMG_20201023_121942.jpg
IMG_20201023_121942.jpg

View attachment 2381885

View attachment 2381887

My chickens don't preen each other but the often have cuddle puddles. They make friends and stick extra close to them. Where one friend goes the other follows and they chatter constantly and share food with pals and back them up in fights. They form cliques and when one of them moves the rest start to move also. They're definitely affectionate, just not in the way parrots are.
What are those bottom girls? They're beautiful

Back
Top Bottom