Chicken age?

mscallisto

Songster
8 Years
Sep 21, 2012
I know this probably isn't likely, but is there a way to tell how old a hen is? I think my friend and I were duped. We adopted 2 hens who we were told were 2 and 1 year olds. I have the alleged 1 year old, a copper maran mix. In 3 weeks she's laid 3 eggs. My friend has the 2 year old, full copper maran, and she hasn't laid anything in 3 weeks. We're beginning to think these girls are older than we were told and someone just didn't want to deal with culling. They are both healthy looking, just not producing anything.

Your hens are likely a little stressed being a new environment. Stress causes egg production to drop or stop completely. It could take a couple of weeks until they adjust. I don't think you got duped.

I've never heard of any method that accurately tells age. Only assumptions. If there is I'd love to learn how.

I know this probably isn't likely, but is there a way to tell how old a hen is? I think my friend and I were duped. We adopted 2 hens who we were told were 2 and 1 year olds. I have the alleged 1 year old, a copper maran mix. In 3 weeks she's laid 3 eggs. My friend has the 2 year old, full copper maran, and she hasn't laid anything in 3 weeks. We're beginning to think these girls are older than we were told and someone just didn't want to deal with culling. They are both healthy looking, just not producing anything.
You can make a good guess.
Do you have photos?
It is very likely stress. Just about anything can stop them laying. Warm where you are?

This is the 2 year old imagejpeg_0.jpg

Stress from rehoming can stop laying, plus if you're in northern hemisphere, they're heading into molt so good chance they'll be molting pretty soon if they haven't already started, plus shortening fall days will slow laying on top of that.

Molt doesn't start quite yet. They usually molt here when it gets cold because I always thought it was weird they didn't molt while it was warmer instead of freezing cold.

Molt doesn't start quite yet. They usually molt here when it gets cold because I always thought it was weird they didn't molt while it was warmer instead of freezing cold.
Some of mine start molting in August, especially the cocks, some will wait until later.
Marans are not stellar layers, and they may be 'early' molters,
plus the moving stress can trigger molt or at least slowing of ovulation.

Back
Top Bottom