Chicken Aggression - anyone ever use Pick-No-More

rmurrayslcut

Songster
10 Years
May 17, 2013
South Jordan, UT
I have two Ameraucanas in my flock. They're a little smaller than my RIR, BRs and Black Austraulorps, but all are same age and grew up together.

I returned to find one of the Ameraucanas pecked in the back, near the tail, to the point where she has an open wound. I seperated her and am treating the wound with antibiotic. She laid an egg yesterday, so I belive that's a good sign.

I noticed the other getting pecked and a bald spot forming in the same place on her back. Also, I noticed she had burrowed down in the sand and was just laying there. I treated her with Pick-No-More, which is designed to make bloody/bald spots purple and apparently has a medicinal smell that the other chickens dislike (I've heard othe people use Vick's, Mentholatum, and pine tar).

Is it typical victim behavior to burrow into the ground and lay there?

Do products like Pick-No-More and Vick's really work? What's your experience?

Will the other hens ever stop picking on the Ameraucanas? I don't like this new dissension in my flock. They are six months old and get lots of protein, by the way.

I have used the rooster booster pick no more lotion on baby chicks a lot and it always works for them. I haven't used it on adults.

You can also try pinless peepers on the peckers if needed (blinders). They need softening in water first before applying I have read. I haven't used these myself but they do work for some people (not all).

Yes the one being picked on may just sit there.

I have used the rooster booster pick no more lotion on baby chicks a lot and it always works for them. I haven't used it on adults.

You can also try pinless peepers on the peckers if needed (blinders). They need softening in water first before applying I have read. I haven't used these myself but they do work for some people (not all).

Yes the one being picked on may just sit there.
it works well on adults I use it a lot

Hi,

I bought it at C-A-L Ranch Stores. They also probably have it at Intermountain Farmers. These are both regional stores, so try any farm/saddle and tackle/feed store. They also have this kind of stuff on line.

Keep your girl separated until it arrives. It seems to be working on the one just starting to get pecked at. The other hasn't been released into the general population though.

I put it on the affected hen, then held the goo out to the others like it was food. They DID NOT like it, so I chased them around with it and tried to rub it on their beaks. I hope it works. It's sad to see the pecked ones just sit there and take it, so resigned to their fate.

How often should I put it on?
Welcome To BYC @marymiranda4

This thread is from 2013 so you may not get a response from previous posters.

What are you wanting to use the Pick No More for? Often there's a better option, sometimes bluing actually will attract attention and cause investigative picking which will excacerbate the problem.
If you are wanting to treat wounds, then there's definitely better products on the market to use.

Back
Top Bottom