Chicken anatomy, is there just one hole?

mkwags

Songster
10 Years
Jul 31, 2009
Davis County, Utah
I feel like everyone but me will know the answer to this, so I feel a little dumb asking. Does the egg and the poo come out of the same hole? My eggs look a little poopy at times, and I haven't inspected too closely, but it seems like there is only one hole back there... Thanks in advance for your help!
smile.png

so if there is just the one hole, is there anything I can do to NOT get poopy eggs? Does it mean my chickens have too runny of poop? Does everyone get poopy eggs?

Ummmm, actually, no, eggs do NOT come out of the same hole as does poop. Poop gets on eggs in the nest, not from being laid. There's a great diagram of how it's done somewhere on this forum... the cloaca (where poop is formed and exits) is closed off during the operation of the ovipositor. Poop CANNOT be expelled as an egg exits the ovipositor.

I'll look for that post and then come back and edit this....

Quote:
Yep...this! The exit point is the same, although of course they come from two different systems (reproductive/digestive). My eggs never seem to have poop on them. Are they sleeping in the nest box?? Or they could have poop on their feet when they're getting into the box....

When the egg is in the process of being layed the opening to the bowels is covered. The egg will come out of the chickens body clean. The dirt is coming after the fact. The chickens are probly sleeping in the nest box or sitting there for a while after laying or it could just be dirt or poop on their legs or feet that is being transfered on to the eggs.

sorry posted at same time.
Quote:
Yep...this! The exit point is the same, although of course they come from two different systems (reproductive/digestive). My eggs never seem to have poop on them. Are they sleeping in the nest box?? Or they could have poop on their feet when they're getting into the box....

Back
Top Bottom