chicken and duck crazy

mary gott

Hatching
Oct 9, 2016
hello my name is maryann and i am new to this site. I Have been raising chickens and ducks for 1 week now and i only got 3 eggs. I am trying so hard to make them happy but not sure whats wrong. They have a big coop and good size fenced in yard to run. They eat very well. Should i be doing something else? My ducks are not laying and their 17 weeks what should i do to help them along. And atleast 17 of my chickens are not laying and their all ages from 6 months to 3 years HELP

Last edited:
Hi and
welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined the flock! Very happy to have you! Congrats on chicken and duck keeping!! Are you sure your chickens aren't happy? Sometimes if they don't get the nest they want, or a chicken higher in the pecking order gets something they want they can complain. If they have a large coop and run, and are eating fine they are probably content. Have a great time on here! Enjoy!
smile.png

they have a huge coop with 5 nesting boxes and a huge run fenced in area. I give them their feed and fresh fruits and vegs plus meal worms.lots of fresh water too. I have had them only a week . they were given to me so i was wondering where their in a different place can that effect them

they have a huge coop with 5 nesting boxes and a huge run fenced in area. I give them their feed and fresh fruits and vegs plus meal worms.lots of fresh water too. I have had them only a week . they were given to me so i was wondering where their in a different place can that effect them

A move can definitely effect a hen's laying cycle. The stress of a new environment will often cause them to cease laying for several weeks or even months. Additionally, it's molting season - mature hens who are molting will not lay until they are finished. It's also getting into a colder time of year with fewer hours of daylight. You're likely seeing the result of a combination of factors.

Chickens are easily stressed especially by changes - you have only had them a week and their lives changed completely. They were used to some routine etc. and now everything is different.

Once they feel secure in their new home they will start being regular chickens again.

Back
Top Bottom