Chicken and Duck Eggs in same incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenlee, Apr 4, 2011.

1. chickenlee

chickenlee Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2010
    Kingston
    I was wondering if anybody had experience hatching chicken and duck eggs in the same incubator. I was thinking that if I set the chicken eggs (21 days incubation) a week after the ducks (28 days incubation) then they would all hatch out at the same time. I know that ducks have slightly different humidity requirements.....how would you modify to hatch both at the same time? Is it even possible?

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I wouldn't think so, but someone may counter this belief. Dunno how you would modify the different humidity requirements; too low and the duck eggs would not do well. Too high for chickens, and the chicks would "drown."

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I have done it in the past and just not upped the humidity too high and the ducks hatched fine.

4. chickenlee

chickenlee Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2010
    Kingston
    anybody else tried duck and chicken eggs at the same time? what humidity did you use?

5. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    58% and I have a call duck and a chick in the hatcher as I type.

6. ruralmom

ruralmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2009
    NW Colorado
    I just set 11 call duck eggs in with three chicken eggs. I have done this before and I do believe that the most important time for humidity is at lock down. We are in a climate that has very low humidity so anything over 45-50% is great for me. I do try to get 80% or better at the duck lockdown. This is my third call duck attempt and the last one I got 6 out of 12. 4 lived to adulthood. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by