Chicken and ducks keep pecking eggs

Emelyn

Crowing
Mar 14, 2021
-
Whenever I collect my eggs and put it down to close my nesting box door for my chickens my chickens and ducks start RUNNING over. My chickens try and peck their own eggs and my ducks push their eggs around in the egg basket. The weird thing though is that when the eggs are still in the nesting boxes the chickens and ducks act like the eggs don't exist after they lay. I have some leftover plastic Easter eggs should I put the eggs in there and the place it on the ground so my chickens and ducks won't accidentally break the eggs when playing with the eggs? I really don't want them to break the eggs open when playing with the eggs I know that this might cause them to start eating their own eggs.

Whenever I collect my eggs and put it down to close my nesting box door for my chickens my chickens and ducks start RUNNING over. My chickens try and peck their own eggs and my ducks push their eggs around in the egg basket. The weird thing though is that when the eggs are still in the nesting boxes the chickens and ducks act like the eggs don't exist after they lay. I have some leftover plastic Easter eggs should I put the eggs in there and the place it on the ground so my chickens and ducks won't accidentally break the eggs when playing with the eggs? I really don't want them to break the eggs open when playing with the eggs I know that this might cause them to start eating their own eggs.
That might work. Ceramic eggs also repel them from pecking/eating their own eggs.

Yeah, the plastic eggs are a good idea. A long time ago we had a few chickens that were pecking and eating their eggs, we reasoned that they lacked protein in their diet, so we started giving them cooked beans or steamed trout and that same day they stopped.
Noticed that many of the myths here in my country about chickens are just because of ignorance

No.
Keep the gathered eggs where they can't reach them.
They may think you have treats in the egg basket.

Back
Top Bottom