1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Chicken Ark size

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by protodon, Nov 24, 2009.

1. protodon

protodon Songster

Mar 3, 2009
    Nottingham,PA
    I was contemplating building a chicken ark to house meat birds for a couple months at a time. I don't want it to be too big and I'd like to be able to move it alone. I was thinking something 3 to 4 feet wide and 5 to feet long, maybe up to 8 feet long. So that would be anywhere from 15 to 32 sq ft for birds. Now I've read that cooped chickens and ducks need anywhere from 3 to 5 square feet each but in practice how many birds could I keep in that size ark for only 2 months at a time? Or maybe someone could tell me what a good size ark would be for 12 to 15 birds without cramming them in there. I mean I'd like to be as humane as possible raising my own meat birds so having them in commercial conditions would kind of defeat the purpose.

2. bobbo

bobbo Hatching

Feb 9, 2009
    Columbus
    Seems like too many birds for that size, could be wrong. About half that seems right.

3. patman75

patman75 Songster

My A-FRAME has a 4X8 foot print so that is 32sq ft. The plans I got for it said it can hold 4 large birds or 8 small birds.

4. protodon

protodon Songster

Mar 3, 2009
    Nottingham,PA
    Thanks forthe input. I think I do like 4 x 8 as dimensions for an ark. I may just build one that large then let them free range when they looked cramped and get big enough. Then the ark could be their night coop. I have yard space for birds to free range since I already have free range birds but I was thinking of using an ark so they might fatten up more and have protection from hawks while still young.

5. cobrien

cobrien Songster

Mar 16, 2009
    Oakland, CA
    For meat birds I'm guessing you'd have large breeds? I had 4 BA's in my 4x10 tractor, the outside part was 4x6 and they were going batty by the time they were full grown. I would not call it inhumane but don't think they were enjoying life in that cramped space. I didn't move mine every day and think that makes a big difference. I would say for the first go round to get fewer birds and see how they do - it is pretty easy to tell if they are fairly content or not. Also there are certains breeds that do better with confinement than others, you might want to research that, I can say in my experience, Cochins tolerate confinement the best.

6. mightieskeeper

mightieskeeper Songster

Mar 6, 2009
    Clio Michigan
    If you want to do meat birds. Maybe you should look at a hoop house. You could move it with your tractor or truck? Good size 8' x 12'.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by