Chicken ate my earring! Help!

Catho

Chirping
Apr 8, 2021
Help! My 9 week old Buff Orpington just pecked the earring out of my ear (photo)! What should we do now? It’s a cheap earring, I’m worried about my chicken! Any ideas what to do? 😢

Attachments

• 49DDC959-7EE8-429E-B6B4-27CCA33B531B.jpeg
    49DDC959-7EE8-429E-B6B4-27CCA33B531B.jpeg
    724.3 KB · Views: 40
I switched to hoops after mine did this. Luckily also cheap one. No issues, she's a year older now. I freaked out when it happened though. Others may have more wisdom to share but I just watched her extra close for a few days.
From what I read on the web it goes to their crop and gets ground up like everything else. Am I right?

Thank you for your encouraging words! I will watch her like a hawk and hope she will be ok.

So far so good, she is behaving like always, eats and seems like her usual happy self. 😀🐓

Hi,
I have had a chook swallow an earring of mine a few weeks back. I followed these type threads and stopped being overly worried about it. She’s been fine, eating, drinking and is completely herself it seems, however isn’t laying? I thought by now she would have started up again as it’s warmer here, and I began to wonder about the earring and if that could be causing it the lack of eggs?
Thanks In advance

Hi,
I have had a chook swallow an earring of mine a few weeks back. I followed these type threads and stopped being overly worried about it. She’s been fine, eating, drinking and is completely herself it seems, however isn’t laying? I thought by now she would have started up again as it’s warmer here, and I began to wonder about the earring and if that could be causing it the lack of eggs?
Thanks In advance
Hey there
Mine just pooped the earring after some weeks... And she's healthy and fine ☺️ and about egg laying.. they start laying in the spring after the winter break (but I'm not much of a expert 😃) hopefully yours will be fine too 🙂

I had a rooster that somehow swallowed a freaking 3 inch bone or stick. You could clearly feel the outline of the bone in his crop....I was absolutely positive he couldn't pass it and started gathering supplies and steeling myself to do crop surgery...even got suture from my vet. I've never done crop surgery before but figured it was a life and death situation so it was worth a try. I think I even posted about it in here at the time.
I go to get the Roostie ready for surgery...AND it was gone..the bone/stick was not in his crop.
He somehow passed it, not sure which end it came out of, but it was gone. This was a year ago and Roostie is still top rooster and getting close to being an old man.

So moral of the story....they can pass some crazy objects. That earring, I bet, will pass through her like butter. You obviously love your hen very much and I hope this is the case for her.

Hi,
Thanks In advance

I doubt the swollowed earring would cause laying issues....maybe if the earring somehow prevented her from absorbing nutrients properly by being stuck somewhere, but I think then she would have other visible issues so I doubt it.

Check for mites/parasites/egg binding...but if she is losing feathers and getting ready to molt, that might be the cause. Some of my girls totally stop laying in their deep molt, it's actually VERY taxing on them. I have one hen that literally seems drunk for a few days nearing the end of her molt.
Is she getting proper layer feed?

Back
Top Bottom