Chicken attacked by a dog

Ilovechickens07

Chirping
Jan 16, 2021
Pensacola, Florida
My hen was attacked by a dog a few minutes ago. I found her under a bush looking like she was in shock. Upon examining her, I found that she is bleeding around her vent but otherwise is acting normal. She might have been bitten, as there were feathers everywhere, but this is the first time I've had something like this happen. What should I do???

Find out for sure where she's been bitten. You'll need to clean her up with saline or surgical wash - not H2O2. You may need to trim feathers from near the wound, too. Then I'd post pics of what you see. Folks on here can help you narrow down what to do next based on that.

I checked a second time....it doesn't look like she has been bitten, but there is a little bit of blood around her vent. Could it have been from all those feathers being pulled out?
Absolutely, it could be. Are you absolutely sure there are no bites? I am not doubting you, just want you to be sure. You'll want to be sure of the source of the blood. Make sure it's not coming from her vent, you know what I mean?

How is she acting? If she's in shock, she'll need to be put in a quiet, secure place. Some people bring them inside after attacks for rest and observation.

She was definitely in shock when I found her, so I moved her to my garage. I don't see any bite marks, however, it is definitely possible that it is coming from her vent, but there isn't more blood coming out so I don't really know....

Back
Top Bottom