Chicken attacked by bobcat, wasting away

AshHallahan

Hatching
Jul 24, 2022
Rescued our year old Easter egger roo literally from the mouth of a bobcat. This is the second time he has survived a bobcat attack. An hour before he was grabbed, another one of our young cockerels was chasing him and trying to attack him, he was pretty worked up.
We got him away from the cat and oddly enough, no visible wounds whatsoever. Not even bloody feathers. Obviously not sure what’s going on internally. We separated him in a warm dark environment for the night. Since the attack (almost 2 weeks ago) he has barely moved, barely drinks water, won’t eat, just slowly wasting away and becoming more and more lame. His droppings are straight bile, yellow/green. His vent feathers are constantly dirty, covered in greenish yellow diarrhea. His comb looks rough and Ants have been trying to eat him alive because he does not move. He keeps his eyes closed and is holding his head really weirdly. If you talk to him or touch him, he responds and seems to know you’re there. I really don’t know what I can do for him, I have tried to see if he will pull through and he’s been hanging on for so long, I would hate to put him down if it’s something that’s treatable? Can shock do this or is this some kind of illness brought on by stress? Keeping him isolated from the flock just to be on the safe side.

Did you check under his feathers for wounds? What is his diet? Any other symptoms?
Yeah I checked him all over, I used to work in the veterinary field so I tried to feel for any obvious injuries and didn’t feel any either. Just trying to feed his usual food, have tried a scrambled egg too but he has no interest in eating and barely drinks water. After a ton of reading, starting to be concerned it’s Mareks. We had a hen die a little while back after her crop became impacted. Fixed her crop but she ended up lame. She fought for a while but she died sadly. Her symptoms weren’t as bad as his but they are similar. I think maybe his is neurological, he is almost stargazing and keeping his neck bent at an odd angle, very weak and lethargic, can shift himself around a little bit seems very very out of it. Keeps his eyes closed, feathers are looking really rough too.

Yeah I checked him all over, I used to work in the veterinary field so I tried to feel for any obvious injuries and didn’t feel any either. Just trying to feed his usual food, have tried a scrambled egg too but he has no interest in eating and barely drinks water. After a ton of reading, starting to be concerned it’s Mareks. We had a hen die a little while back after her crop became impacted. Fixed her crop but she ended up lame. She fought for a while but she died sadly. Her symptoms weren’t as bad as his but they are similar. I think maybe his is neurological, he is almost stargazing and keeping his neck bent at an odd angle, very weak and lethargic, can shift himself around a little bit seems very very out of it. Keeps his eyes closed, feathers are looking really rough too.
He could have an internal injury or the shock triggered wry neck, have you tried vitamin therapy?

Back
Top Bottom