Chicken attacked by fox

jmysgrl08

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 22, 2013
Aylett, VA
A few days ago two of our chickens were injured while inside their enclosure. We later got a picture on our game camera of a fox outside the pen and have since reinforced the fencing. My question is how to treat the wound on my Barred Rock, Princess. She was grabbed through the fence and the skin was torn away from her throat. She is eating and drinking and acting normally. We have been putting Neosporin on a gauze pad and changing it daily. The other chickens are not bothering her.

I'd say just keep an eye on her and put wood on the bottom of the floor like 1 ft. and 1/2 so things cant grab at them if it doesn't get better within like a week or 2 or it looks infected I would take her to the vet. Good luck hope this helped.

poor princess,wishing her a speedy recovery
hugs.gif

Yeah we fixed the problem with the fence. The fox didn't get in, it grabbed her through the fence. The problem we have is finding a vet that treats chickens.
sad.png
So far she's doing good but has figured out how to get the bandage off.
smile.png

Thanks for the response and the well wishes!

Last edited:
Sorry it took a while to reply. What you see is the skin hanging down where it was torn away, not the crop. She is actually doing really well. She never slowed down, was eating and drinking normally the same day of the attack. The wound at her throat was about 4-5 inches long and a couple inches wide, the skin is mostly grown over and the loose ends are shrinking. She also has a smaller tear below the big one. It is healing well too. Thank you to everyone who responded. We were so worried and it helped to know other care.
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom