Chicken attacked by hawk....what can I do for her?

Agnella

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 20, 2010
N. Georgia
I posted in 'Predators & Pests" and it was suggested that I come over here. Moderators if you feel you need to close that other one down, do whatever you gotta do please.

My girl was attacked by a hawk (I think...it was dark and under a bush) last evening. The worst damage that I can see are a lot of missing feathers on her upper back and all along her belly. I do see what looks like bruising on her belly. No blood anywhere.

I've kept her in our warm garage overnight in a dog crate covered by towels. This morning she was on her side with her legs out to her left. I've been able to dribble some water with electrolytes/vitamins in her mouth. She's sitting a bit more upright now but is keeping her eyes closed. If I try to move her she makes noises that sounds like she's in pain.

My poor girl....I feel so horrible because I wasn't out there with them like usual.
hit.gif

I will do ANYTHING for her. Does anyone have any other ideas please?

Thanks...

sounds like she may have internal injuries or maybe a fracture some where, sounds like you are doing all the right stuff for her, if she improves over then next 24 hours, she may be ok, if she gets worse in the next few hours, she may not survive her attack, hope she pulls through

I've had two horrific attacks on hens that survived. One was a raccoon .. one was a hawk. Both moved very little for 24 hours or more .. and gradually came out of it. I would keep her warm with food and water in front of her.

I was amazed at both of mine.

Best wishes for speedy recovery for your girl ...
hugs.gif

Keep her warm and quiet. She may be in shock. I'm sure she's sore. Hopefully there is no spine damage. If her spine is damaged, the only humane thing to do (in my opinion) is to put an end to her suffering. Otherwise, chickens can and do recover from some pretty bad injuries. I wouldn't worry about feeding her today, just make sure there is some closeby if she decides she is hungry/thirsty. A few drops of Pedialyte every couple of hours might help, too, but I wouldn't push it. She can go a while without.

ETA - Good luck!

Last edited:
Thank you all very much!

It's so good to hear about hens that survived attacks.

She still has her eyes closed but will open them if I pet her. I will let her relax for today and call the vet to see if he wants to take a look at her as well.

It's warm (72 degrees) and dark in the garage. Hopefully she's comfy.

I had one recover from a recent coyote attack, similar to yours, not much visible but must have had internal injuries. I found her on her side initially, thought she needed culling til I picked her up and she perked right up. She limped pretty badly for a while, and sometimes apparently couldn't get back up when she somehow landed on her side or back; I'd have to right her. She spent a few weeks standing around or sitting down instead of foraging. That was about a month ago, and today she is out pecking and scratching with the rest. Still sleeps in a nest instead of on the perch, but that is the only hint she had problems. I'm not going to push the issue on the nest sleeping. Amazingly, she doesn't poop in the nest. I did very little for her other than boost nutrition -- and watch her closely.

I keep checking on her and she's just sitting there with her eyes closed. I tried to drop some water for her and she leaned her head waaayy back before letting it drop back forward. She is not interested so I'm going to keep letting her rest.

I called the chicken doc and he didn't answer.

Thanks for all the advice and hopeful stories.

Greetings, You're doing well. If you keep the wounds clean she has a good chance! Hope a lung isn't punctured.
We have brought most back from the brink. We keep them in the house, the attention seem to help also..

I just reread your post. No blood? I've seen hawk attacks, that doesn't sound like a hawk. Did you see the hawk?

Best of luck with the little one!

Back
Top Bottom