Chicken attacked by new puppy

* Ummm--No, I think not!! Besides Chook has all her feathers- what made you think she's naked, BuffH??
tongue.png

Yeah, Poppy has Clavamox for antibiotic. Butorphanol for pain killer. and Thermazene as a cream for the wound. The neck wound wasnt too bad. The one on the back is deeper. The vet was worried about infection there since it will take longer to scab over since not as much skin left

She seemes perky though for going through so much trauma. And downright feisty when we have to give her the meds. She also laid an egg yesterday. The doctor said she probably would stop for awhile. So I guess that is a good sign

* Keep us updated, Paul, o.k.? And if you do keep her in the tub, make sure EVERBODY knows to keep the door closed so that your puppy can't get another shot at her. We have to watch it with my dog, too!! Oh, When it's 'bedtime' for chickens, you just pull the shower curtain closed and turn off the lights!!
smile.png

Last edited:
I have had a couple of house chickens - the best thing I got for them was chicken diapers, that way they could have more freedom in the house and I wouldn't have to worry about the mess. The diapers also have enough room for an egg - though it does get heavy for them to drag around!

my first chicken was the survivor of a dog attack. he survived the surgery and seemed to do well for several months but never regained use of his right leg and could not be homed with other chickens because they picked on him (we tried several different configurations of chickens with him but couldn't find a good match). he seemed to fall into a decline after awhile (depression? perhaps) and passed away a few months later and we are not sure exactly why.
i sure hope your chicken comes through this and goes on to live a happy/healthy life.
my best advice is don't skip any med. doses and as soon as she is ready to rejoin the flock get her back out there so that she doesn't get lonely/depressed.
good luck!

I took Poppy for her checkup today. The vet said her wound looks to be healing well so far. When the vet was swabbing Poppy's wound, Poppy grabbed the swab and threw it on the floor. Feisty!

We have another checkup in two weeks. I brought inside her sister Buffy today. They clucked at each other for a little bit.
smile.png

Paul

UPDATE: Poppy has made a full recovery. Her wound has skinned over..Kinda amazing since the dog bite was deep. She's now back outside with the other hens. Although I think my buff orpington, Buffy, believe she's the alpha chick now.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom