Chicken Attacked By Owl!!!!!!!

cicknmama

Songster
5 Years
Sep 23, 2014
Hardin, Montana
My hen was pinned down by an owl about an hour ago outside the pen. I scared the owl away but the hen ran inside, hid, and was gasping for air. the hen had blood in her mouth and on her beak and has a punture wound on the middle of her back. THE hole is the size of an eraser head but looks pretty deep. NOT sure if her lung is punctured or another part of her anatomy is injured. ALL external bleeding has stopped. THE hen still has labored breathing with gurgling, getting worse and better on and off. WHEN not gurgling her breathing is shallow, looks like she is resting. Applied a natural antibiotic gel to the wound and have covered it with guaze, applying slight pressure. Any way to treat her at home?

Last edited:
Aww I'm sorry to hear about your hen, one or both of her lungs may be punctured. The wound on the outside is the only thing you can treat at home, and I'm not sure if an avian vet would be able to do much more if that is the case with her lung/s. Keep her quiet and lots of tlc. Keep her food and water close so that she doesn't have to work to get them. Very best of luck to you both.
As a side note for the owl, he will be back. I found a couple owl silhouettes at the dollar store and seems to work well to keep them away from the birds. They are on top of my coop (had to throw) so that the only thing seeing them is birds overhead.

Aww I'm sorry to hear about your hen, one or both of her lungs may be punctured. The wound on the outside is the only thing you can treat at home, and I'm not sure if an avian vet would be able to do much more if that is the case with her lung/s. Keep her quiet and lots of tlc. Keep her food and water close so that she doesn't have to work to get them. Very best of luck to you both.
As a side note for the owl, he will be back. I found a couple owl silhouettes at the dollar store and seems to work well to keep them away from the birds. They are on top of my coop (had to throw) so that the only thing seeing them is birds overhead.
thank you for the advice on both accounts. is this something she can recover from?

Well with a little bit of luck anything is possible. If it's just a flesh wound it's a very good possibility she'll be just fine, it's really hard to say at this point. Give her a day or two and if she's eating and drinking and as long as no infection is taking hold then I would be pretty confident she'll pull through
263a.png

Well with a little bit of luck anything is possible. If it's just a flesh wound it's a very good possibility she'll be just fine, it's really hard to say at this point. Give her a day or two and if she's eating and drinking and as long as no infection is taking hold then I would be pretty confident she'll pull through
263a.png
Thank you!I doctored her with my essential oils and she's doing awesome! The puncture is healing and no problems breathing today. I have her inside until the wound scabs over.

Back
Top Bottom