Chicken attacked by Pitbull mix

Jun 27, 2023
My Rhode Island Red Hen was attacked 6 days ago and promptly taken to the ER. She was stitched up in four different spots and put on painkillers/anti-biotics. She is still alive 5 days later but has yet to eat or drink on her own. She will stand and walk a little, but her eyes are still mostly shut.

The Vet told me to leave her wounds alone.
They are on her back and underneath the wing.

My main concern is her still being in shock and not eating and drinking on her own.

Thank You!

Attachments

• IMG_1335.jpg
    IMG_1335.jpg
    580.6 KB · Views: 79
She may have been squeezed and/or shaken, so she may be more injured than appears obvious on the outside. Are you giving fluids and food? That she has survived this long is a positive sign, but long term no one can predict. If there are no dire internal injuries, and no infection sets in, then given enough time and supportive care, she may recover, but it's very hard to say with certainty. She is likely very, very sore.

Did the vet check for internal injuries?
we did not x-ray
She may have been squeezed and/or shaken, so she may be more injured than appears obvious on the outside. Are you giving fluids and food? That she has survived this long is a positive sign, but long term no one can predict. If there are no dire internal injuries, and no infection sets in, then given enough time and supportive care, she may recover, but it's very hard to say with certainty. She is likely very, very sore.
Agree, the position she is pictured in is how I believe she was pinned...on concrete. The dog is probably around 80-100lbs.

I am giving her fluids, antibiotics, and her usual chicken feed mashed with water.

Back
Top Bottom