Chicken Attacked by Predator few days ago, leg is injured, and she is unable to walk but can eat, What to do?

W1i2l3l4a5

In the Brooder
Jun 23, 2022
Hi everyone, My Buff Orpington (3 years old) was attacked by a raccoon after being separated from the flock because of another injury (that is all healed now luckily), She is light for her age. Her leg was injured in the attack but nothing else. She is unable to walk but can drag herself around slightly. All the open wounds on her leg have scabbed over in the 5 or so days since the attack (we've been using poultry wound spray) but she still cannot walk. I've checked her leg and don't see or feel any breaks in it (there still might be that I haven't felt yet) but I have moved the leg by the "Knee," and that seems to be the problem. Her leg is tucked up onto her stomach as well. She has not been eating the layer pellets or cracked corn that we have been giving her, however she has been eating greens that are hand fed as well as fruit and veggies that we've given to her, she is drinking fine as well. We haven't treated her for anything, but we have given her rest alone for the nights in a dog cage with woodchips for bedding, she still sees the flock in the mornings (separated of course). I am looking for ways to treat her on my own without a vet, but if one is necessary please tell me.

unnamed (2).jpg

It is hard to know if she has a sprain, fracture, or nerve damage. A vet could do an xray to rule it out. It can take weeks to know if she will get better. Or you could keep her separated in a wire dog crate with food and water near her flock for company. Chicken slings sometimes are helpful to get them upright, in front of food and water, and keep her cleaner. Some fight them and do not tolerate them. In posts 8, 11, and 12 of the link below are some good examples:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

It is hard to know if she has a sprain, fracture, or nerve damage. A vet could do an xray to rule it out. It can take weeks to know if she will get better. Or you could keep her separated in a wire dog crate with food and water near her flock for company. Chicken slings sometimes are helpful to get them upright, in front of food and water, and keep her cleaner. Some fight them and do not tolerate them. In posts 8, 11, and 12 of the link below are some good examples:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/
We were able to make the sling, and she isn't fighting it, so hopefully she can stay clean and she'll be near her food and water. Thank you for your answer, I really hope she'll be able to get better soon.

Attachments

• image_67227649.JPG
    image_67227649.JPG
    677.9 KB · Views: 12
We were able to make the sling, and she isn't fighting it, so hopefully she can stay clean and she'll be near her food and water. Thank you for your answer, I really hope she'll be able to get better soon.
the little champ looks so happy to have a caring human make them such a nice sling, im going to add this to my list of things im learning for future incidents. :DDD

Hi how is your chicken doing ??? Same thing happened to my chicken any advice from you would be appreciated!!

Back
Top Bottom