Chicken attacked by stray dogs, flock won't stop attacking her.

Ammielynn

In the Brooder
May 25, 2019
Northern Minnesota
Hello I am new here. I'm reaching out in hopes that somebody can give me some advice. About 4 days ago one of my girls was attacked by a random dog. She had a couple puncture wounds along with a broken wing, and leg fracture. We were unsure if we should keep her alive but she was eating drinking and pooping. thankfully we decided to keep her alive as she is doing very well compared to when I found her. However she still can barely walk but can get around slowly, and her wing hangs. So far I have put her in a separate crate and when I let her roam outside for short periods I am by her side making sure she's not getting attacked. I have tried on two separate occasions to introduce her to her fellow mates but I quickly have to intervene to prevent her from being attacked. I do believe she will be fine and she will make it. But she is lonely. My worry is that she won't get to be 100% normal again, leaving her to be constantly viewed as "sick" from the others. Has anybody experienced this? If so does this type of behavior go away or should I re-introduce her to a new family. I really don't want to I am very attached to her but I don't want to be selfish and keep her if she's not happy.

Did the flock witness the attack? Sometimes after an attack birds can get a bit jumpy. I would keep her separately but where she can still interact through a fence. I would keep her that way until she mostly heals. I wouldn't let her out with the rest currently. See how she does down the road. Hopefully when she's feeling better she's allowed back into the flock.

A lot of people have success making a separate but included area for healing birds.

Can you divide the coop so she has her own space and a section of run so she can see them and them see her without being able to attack her?

Yes, I think I can assemble something but will this make her stressed and lonely... I feel like her only friend :(

Did the flock witness the attack? Sometimes after an attack birds can get a bit jumpy. I would keep her separately but where she can still interact through a fence. I would keep her that way until she mostly heals. I wouldn't let her out with the rest currently. See how she does down the road. Hopefully when she's feeling better she's allowed back into the flock.

Yes the flock was a part of it, unfortunately two of them passed away. I've been at my house for 2 years and I've never known any dogs to come on my property, I have two dogs that I chicken trained... so I was very shocked to come home to this. What should I do if they never introduce her back to the flock? My biggest fear is that they will peck her to death. It doesn't help she was on the bottom of the packing order already... Would getting a couple more chickens help her case (when she is healed) ... To maybe bypass being a lowest in the pecking order?

Yes, I think I can assemble something but will this make her stressed and lonely... I feel like her only friend :(

Yes the flock was a part of it, unfortunately two of them passed away. I've been at my house for 2 years and I've never known any dogs to come on my property, I have two dogs that I chicken trained... so I was very shocked to come home to this. What should I do if they never introduce her back to the flock? My biggest fear is that they will peck her to death. It doesn't help she was on the bottom of the packing order already... Would getting a couple more chickens help her case (when she is healed) ... To maybe bypass being a lowest in the pecking order?
I think given time, and keeping her in the loop by making sure she still can be seen you will eventually be able to release her. Currently your birds are afraid for their lives and more likely to do crazy things like attack her. If in a few weeks they continue to peck her you could try some one on one bonding with her and various members, or remove the ones most aggressive for a short while. That could help too.

Getting more chickens won't ensure that she will move up on the pecking order. There will always be a bird on the bottom. Chickens aren't compassionate animals in general. Their instincts tell them to protect the flock. In order to do that, they will sometimes try to eliminate a weak one. They see that she's not well. I hope that she heals up alright.

Currently they want to get at her :(

Attachments

• 15589042231443214804821403156352.jpg
    15589042231443214804821403156352.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 20
It will take time for her to heal.
They will get used to the crate in a few days.

Be sure to put food and water in there for her and keep her where it is shaded.
You will want that cage inside the coop at night so she has protection from the weather.

Also.....the cage could be inside the fence to help in case a dog comes back.

The crate doesn't fit inside the coop... She was in the garage for 5 days in the crate and I just transitioned her in the crate next to the coop... There is food an water over it and a blanket covering half of it.. I do have a piece of wood in there if she chooses to roost.... I'm just really worried that the flock isn't going to let her back in... I wanted to get baby chicks to add to our flock eventually ... Could she be placed with the babies?

Patience Grasshopper.
Healing, then reintegration, will take time.
Keep injured bird as close to flock as possible.
Meanwhile have you eliminated the possibility of another dog attack?
Integrating new chicks is just another complication at this point.

Knowing more about your goals for keeping chickens and,
your flock size(numbers, ages, genders),
your coop(size in feet by feet with pics),
will help us help you.

Oh, and....Welcome to BYC! @Ammielynn
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-5-27_9-25-37.png

Back
Top Bottom