Chicken badly pecked and won’t eat or drink

Could anyone advise me if I could put her into an enclosed run today for a little bit to see our other hens for an hour or so or is it too soon? Happened Friday 7pm. Monday morning now. I thought maybe some normal environment might encourage movement? It’s safe and a big run. Other hens can’t get in.

Could anyone advise me if I could put her into an enclosed run today for a little bit to see our other hens for an hour or so or is it too soon? Happened Friday 7pm. Monday morning now. I thought maybe some normal environment might encourage movement? It’s safe and a big run. Other hens can’t get in.
@Tookie

Hello

My chicken had been badly pecked on the head by another hen. I think it was happening for 30 minutes to one hour before I realised.
She was lying on the ground and lifeless when I rushed her inside. She is still alive. I cleaned the head, I’ve used topical antibiotic/antiseptic spray on the wound, I’ve bought Poultry Nutri Drops which I use once daily and have added sugar syrup to add to water. I’ve phoned the Vet and they said there isn’t much more I can do.

There hasn’t been much improvement 48 hours later apart from now standing up, eyes open, preening feathers and alert. But the chicken isn't walking, won’t eat or drink. I’ve been syringing droplets of water into their beak slowly to give some sort of hydration. I’ve taken her outside to show the other hens but always been right beside her but she just puts her head down. The bully hen has gone, I got rid of her the next morning and the other hens are fine with the injured presences. (Injured is kept inside and apart but showing them she’s still here)

I’m getting really concerned about her not eating, drinking or walking. She can stand and move her feet when she wishes. Not sure if it’s shock?

Hello

My chicken had been badly pecked on the head by another hen. I think it was happening for 30 minutes to one hour before I realised.
She was lying on the ground and lifeless when I rushed her inside. She is still alive. I cleaned the head, I’ve used topical antibiotic/antiseptic spray on the wound, I’ve bought Poultry Nutri Drops which I use once daily and have added sugar syrup to add to water. I’ve phoned the Vet and they said there isn’t much more I can do.

There hasn’t been much improvement 48 hours later apart from now standing up, eyes open, preening feathers and alert. But the chicken isn't walking, won’t eat or drink. I’ve been syringing droplets of water into their beak slowly to give some sort of hydration. I’ve taken her outside to show the other hens but always been right beside her but she just puts her head down. The bully hen has gone, I got rid of her the next morning and the other hens are fine with the injured presences. (Injured is kept inside and apart but showing them she’s still here)

I’m getting really concerned about her not eating, drinking or walking. She can stand and move her feet when she wishes. Not sure if it’s shock? View attachment 3649835
She could have a brain injury (like a concussion) after all that pecking. Keeping her quiet and continue providing her with water and nutrition as you have been doing seems best to me.

I would try putting her into the area in the run where she can’t get pecked, but stay there with her to observe. It helps for her to stay familiar with the others, so they don’t attack her when she comes back into the flock. My 2 Polish pullets would take turns getting their head feathers plucked bloody during their lives with a mixed flock. Usually, I would notice it starting, then use gentian violet or BluKote to hide the red, so it would not continue. I hope your hen recovers.

Still not eating, drinking or walking. Feet are moving to reposition. I’ve been syringing egg yolk with some water, I’ve mushed up pellets with some warm water and egg yolk and made it runny enough to go into a syringe. Also water with a tsp of sugar, pinch of salt and baking soda. Drinking and eating that when I’m administering it. Partner and my mum says they think she’s perked up but I’m watching constantly so don’t see much difference 😪 still looking around, alert, preening and standing. Gave the last of the Nutri drops today. Really hoping to see her eating and moving tomorrow.

I’m getting really concerned now. Still no positive update, it’s day 4. Not eating by herself or drinking. Standing and can move feet but not walking. Do I put the hen out their misery? Wait a little longer? She’s still inside and it’s been 4 days now. Should I return her to the run (nothing else can get in and the other hens are on the outside). Still applying blue antibiotic and antiseptic spray.

I’m getting really concerned now. Still no positive update, it’s day 4. Not eating by herself or drinking. Standing and can move feet but not walking. Do I put the hen out their misery? Wait a little longer? She’s still inside and it’s been 4 days now. Should I return her to the run (nothing else can get in and the other hens are on the outside). Still applying blue antibiotic and antiseptic spray.
So sorry she's not getting better.
I'm not sure what you should do.

Back
Top Bottom