Chicken balance issues

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by alauradesign, Dec 6, 2016.

1. alauradesign

alauradesign New Egg

Dec 6, 2016
    What is the illness called when a hen loses her balance? About two weeks ago I noticed one of my girls seemed to have been attacked by something from the back, missing a chunk of feathers and most of her tail. It may have been a run-in with another hen as there were no signs of any outside attack. Anyway, she seemed fine, just extra snuggly (she's a real cuddle bug), but yesterday I noticed she's a little bit wobbly on her feet. And today she's a bit worse. She's still running around the yard and interested in everything, having dust baths and foraging for food, but she's definitely having balance issues and I want to catch this before it gets worse. Any thoughts??

2. alauradesign

alauradesign New Egg

Dec 6, 2016
    Oh, and this is my first post. Hello!!!! :)

3. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Give her baby aspirin (81mg) if she was hurt in the legs from a attack that would help.If its not the attack that made her that way,Disease such as Mareks,Boutlism would cause balance issues.Or it could be a nutrition problem.

Also welcome to BYC!!!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. How old is your hen with balance issues? Is she limping or having any problem with her feet or legs? Make sure that she is getting her share of food and water, and that sheis not being bullied. Was she vaccinated for Mareks?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by