Chicken baldness

Mandy

Hatching
12 Years
Feb 21, 2007
Hello everyone,

I'm a new member and am after some advice. We are relatively new chicken owners. My husband had always longed for a few chickens and so he made a coop and we went and bought three. We've had them about 6 months. They're great, we love them. They laid since the day they came home and have never given us any trouble (well apart from escaping into the next door neighbours garden once or twice). We have Kate, Penny and Lucy, collectively known as the girls. Anyway, I should stop rambleing on, sorry.

Kate has got a bald tummy and lower part of her chest. Her skin doesn't seem red or saw, she doesn't seem to be in any discomfort, is laying, eating and running around normally. Does anyone have any idea about this.

I know this is the time when hormonal birds can be inclined to pull out chest feathers, is it the same for chickens.

Thank you all

Mandy

The only explanation that I can come up with for this is that Kate is starting to go broody. If she isn't already, then she will soon start sitting in the nest box day and night.

Thanks Helena,

When she gets broody what should I do? Will she come out to eat and drink or should I put food into the coop for her. Is broodiness a behaviour I should encourage that will pass of it's own accord or should I perhaps entice her out of the coop and keep her out during the day. Maybe we should consider getting a cockrell? What do you think?

Mandy

PS. Have just visited your site and found info on broodiness behaviours. Thanks

Last edited:
Mandy, if indeed your hen is broody, it is a instinct that is natural. some hens become broody and some never do, some breeds more than others, it's not something you can promote.

If she is broody it's to late for a roo now, the clutch has been laid and she won't lay again until her next cycle.

Broody hens will stay on the nest day and night, only occasionally coming off to drink and eat sometimes. I relate it to a bear in hibernation, they go into a trance, set on one thing only and that is to accomplish what they set out to do and that's hatch the eggs. They will stay that way for weeks, if they are a good broody mother hen.

Hope this helps.

bigzio

Yes she sound broody to me too. They pull out the feathers on the belly to lend more body heat and moisture to the eggs. If you don't have fertile eggs you might want to try to find some and let her sit on them. If you want more chickens that is. If you decide to let her sit on eggs, make sure she is settled in for a few days first. Some can take up to a week to get settled. She usually will leave the nest for 10 -15 minutes per day to eat, drink, strech and make very smelly doo.
hmm.png

On the other hand if she does not start to set then you need to check her very carefully for bugs. She may have a case of mites that has caused her to plull out feathers. That is not usual but could happen.

Back
Top Bottom