Chicken bare and red bottom

kmurray2501

In the Brooder
Mar 29, 2021
The school that I work at has 6 chickens, one of them has got a complete bare and red bottom (pictures attached). Does anyone know what the cause is and what I can do to help? Our initial thoughts are that it’s losing feathers due to stress of having children around and picking her up? Another issue may be mites/fleas but I would assume this would affect more than one bird? The chicken is eating and drinking as normal and doesn’t appear to be in any pain. If anyone has any advice I’d be very grateful 😊
DED9AD68-9632-4057-9CE8-445A767B8953.jpeg
53F71CFF-A11D-4A94-AFEA-92B696441399.jpeg

The school that I work at has 6 chickens, one of them has got a complete bare and red bottom (pictures attached). Does anyone know what the cause is and what I can do to help? Our initial thoughts are that it’s losing feathers due to stress of having children around and picking her up? Another issue may be mites/fleas but I would assume this would affect more than one bird? The chicken is eating and drinking as normal and doesn’t appear to be in any pain. If anyone has any advice I’d be very grateful 😊 View attachment 2782920View attachment 2782921
Have you noticed if the other chickens are pecking or picking at her?

@Wyorp Rock what say you?

The school that I work at has 6 chickens, one of them has got a complete bare and red bottom (pictures attached). Does anyone know what the cause is and what I can do to help? Our initial thoughts are that it’s losing feathers due to stress of having children around and picking her up? Another issue may be mites/fleas but I would assume this would affect more than one bird? The chicken is eating and drinking as normal and doesn’t appear to be in any pain. If anyone has any advice I’d be very grateful 😊 View attachment 2782920View attachment 2782921

Check her carefully for mites/lice -- but most often this kind of bare butt is caused by a flockmate picking her feathers on the roost. If you move the roosts far enough apart that the chickens can't reach the butt in front of them, it can help stop this behavior.

As for the red color: All exposed chicken skin will turn red with exposure to the sun. There's no worry about the red color. When she molts in the fall she'll regrow her feathers.

Check her carefully for mites/lice -- but most often this kind of bare butt is caused by a flockmate picking her feathers on the roost. If you move the roosts far enough apart that the chickens can't reach the butt in front of them, it can help stop this behavior.

As for the red color: All exposed chicken skin will turn red with exposure to the sun. There's no worry about the red color. When she molts in the fall she'll regrow her feathers.
Having that red skin exposed could be attracting the others to keep on picking at that area too I bet.

The problem is urates in feces scalding her rear end causing feather loss along with redness and inflammation. I recommend applying Nu-Stock to the area until healed. It will also prevent picking and pecking. Wear disposable gloves when applying it.
thnustock.jpg

Back
Top Bottom