Chicken bedding...

chickneggs

Songster
10 Years
May 15, 2013
UpNorth ☀️
So I worked my butt off tonight cleaning the chicken's coop and I opened the bag of bedding, to find that is was pretty much saw dust, not the woodlike chips I was hoping for...

Is there anything I can do to make the saw dust safe and workable in the coop or should I reclean the bedding again and replace it? Love my girls and want the best for their health; just don't want to overthink something that may be okay for them.

I use very fine sawdust all the time. Works great and never had any respiratory issues. It's collected from a neighbor with a band mill, so it's like fine corn meal. Been using it for years. It's so fine my hens often dust bathe in it. Dust bathing is great way to keep insect infestations at bay. Straw and hay harbor insects like fleas and ticks. I have used all kinds of bedding and find the fine sawdust to be the best. By far!

Just my $.02

So I worked my butt off tonight cleaning the chicken's coop and I opened the bag of bedding, to find that is was pretty much saw dust, not the woodlike chips I was hoping for...

Is there anything I can do to make the saw dust safe and workable in the coop or should I reclean the bedding again and replace it? Love my girls and want the best for their health; just don't want to overthink something that may be okay for them.
It'll be fine for now.
Bad bag or different brand or ...?

I did run into town and pick up an actual bag of chicken bedding and did a redo; the chickens were less than impressed since they were roosting, ready for bed :D (I placed them out in the run, with the door closed between us, so the dust wouldn't effect them while I cleaned). I couldn't breathe good with the dust from the previous bedding (not sure the wood type; it varies), so figured it wasn't good for the girls either. My neighbor does cabinet making for his business and gives me bags of wood shavings. All of them have been blessings, but this last bag was just too dusty. Will be sure to stay away from anything too dusty from here on out. Thank you everyone for the replies! :)

Back
Top Bottom