Chicken Behavior and egg laying

Sunflower01

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 30, 2009
Westminster, Maryland
We just got our 20 week old laying Pulletts and the they don't know how to roost. We got them on Saturday and at dark all six huddle in the corner at night. For 4 days we have been going in after dark and putting them on their roost. The roost is about 3 1/2 ft off of the ground, a 2x4, 4 side up. They stay there all night and then hop down on the ladder laid against the roost board I put there to make it earier to get up and down. The roost is about a foot higher than their nest boxes. They hop up on the bar in front of their nest boxes but have not gone in them yet. We have physically put them in their boxes and I also put small white balls in there to encourage there curiosity. These are all tips I picked up from your forum. Should we just be more patient or do we just have dumb chickens? Maby I should move everything down to almost floor level? Some Wisdom Please..
smile.png

The fact that they stay on the roost is a great sign. Most likely it's just going to take a bit longer for them to get the idea. Just keep putting them up there.

Getting them to lay in the nest boxes might take a bit more patience. I have 4 different kinds of nests in 4 places, and some like one, some like another. You could try moving one lower, or adding a cardboard box or some other container, with nest fixings, if you have space -- anything a little different. Maybe drill a few ventilation holes if the nests might be a bit stuffy. Just play around with it, you'll hit on something, or they will eventually get the idea on their own.

Can only expect so much with a brain the size of a pea!

Hmmm, do check them for mites/lice, if you haven't already. Poultry dust from the feed store is good. Some types only get on them at night; possible that they feel the mites that are living in the nest boxes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks ddawn.. The chicken house and enclosed run are newly built. Everything new. I did check the chickens for mites /lice they are clean also. We have had them locked in their new house for about 3 days to get aquainted with the roost and nests. I am seeing slow progress. One, Smarty Pants, seems to be exploring the roost and poking her head in the nest boxes. Usually the others follow.

Back
Top Bottom