chicken behavior question

corgichicken

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 5, 2014
ok here is my question as hens get older (close to laying age) does their behavior change?

the reason i am asking is that for the past few days my girls act like they want nothing to do with me they would come when i called , eat from my hand or just follow me around watching what i was doing. now well they are acting for lack of better words teenagers , they want nothing to do with me basically they wont get any closer than a foot or two of me , well 3 out of 4 wont i have one that will come take something out of my hand then move away fast while the others just watch so i have to toss my treats to them . they wont let me pick them up and pet them unless it is at night and they are in their house on the roost.

i did change out their house to a larger one (one they had was big enough for young birds i think) but they seem to have adapted to that now . they still hang out with my dog and follow him around or lay down with him so i am at a loss

any ideas?

Yes, it is common for hens to change their behavior as they mature. Some become much sweeter and more docile, while others become standoffish or even fearful. Keep giving your hens treats, and spend lots of time around them, and they should get more used to your company.

Last edited:
man puberty sucks even in chickens i guess .... i so miss them running to me or getting on my lap when i sat on the ground (the poop they would sometimes gift me with washed off lol )

Back
Top Bottom