Chicken Behavior

soccrmum

Chirping
Jul 12, 2021
Arcadia, CA
I have a question: I have a golden sexlink that has been producing since early June. She was giving us nice good size eggs right before July, but now has gone back to her very small size eggs. What can I do to help her produce better bigger size eggs?

Another question: I have a 5 month old black copper maran. She is very interested in the nesting boxes but has not layed yet. I noticed today that she was actually waiting for one of the other girls to lay her egg and now she is sitting on it. What does this mean? I am new to this.

Any other good advise would be greatly appreciated.

Soccrmum

You can put a bowl of oyster shell by their feeder. I also feed fermented feed, just adding that to do it. What feed are you feeding them? And your BCM is getting ready to lay!
i use Ace Hi Big Feeder Lay Mash and I provide them with a mixture of mealworms and black soldier fly larvae. I also give them greens (spring mix) with carrots, tomatoes, mushrooms, cucumbers. I also give them frozen berries and also give them a layer boost with omega 3 in their water.

is that all to much?

This is what was recommended to me. Is there another I should be giving them?

Attachments

• 8D0FCAB5-A47E-443A-BA4F-38D050A1E1CC.jpeg
    8D0FCAB5-A47E-443A-BA4F-38D050A1E1CC.jpeg
    580.4 KB · Views: 7
I'm no expert on Chicken Behaviors, I might as @aart , @3KillerBs , @21hens-incharge @cmom if maybe they could weigh in.

To my (limited) knowledge, a chicken doesn't normally suddenly start laying small eggs after laying large ones. Yes, its normal for birds to lay a few smallish eggs as their plumbing works the kinks out, and then for egg size to grow in the first weeks to months of their initial laying year - but that's it. Not egg size that suddenly and visibly decreases.

And while I can (and have) linked to studies showing that average egg quantity (of lay), quality (contents), and size increase on a diminishing basis with crude protein intake, those amounts (while statistically measurable with high confidence) are so small the typical flock owner wouldn't notice. Certainly with regard egg size - you need calipers to measure the average difference. Sure, there's some variation w/i birds, but mine that normally lay md-lg sometimes lay a lg. and the XL sometimes lay a jumbo. But not that one of my Comets might suddenly start drooping md-lg eggs after having dropped XLs all year long.

I've no explanation. Wasn't aware it was possible. My Golden Comets still lay huge eggs, they passed 1 yr of age a few months back. My SLW still lay Md to Md-Lg. So do my Brahma.

As to the Marans (I've not owned one), they are famously broody. And their egg size, apart from a dark brown color, is highly variable. Any chance the eggs you are seeing are from her?

Oh, there's plenty of Calcium in that feed while I support the use of free choice oyster shell, and generally oppose the use of "layer" feed, a shortage of calcium isn't causing your Comet not to lay. If a lack of calcium was an issue, you'd much more likely note weak shelled eggs, and even "shell-less" eggs and a decline in your bird's condition before laying stopped.

I'd instead look for signs of early molting, and evidence of vent gleet or other signs of possible reproductive problems.

Then, if I thought it might be disease, I'd post pictures and summon Azygous Eggcessive or Wyorp Rock for additional assistance. Overo Mare is good on lots of these topics too.

Sorry I can't be more help.

Back
Top Bottom