Chicken behaviour

riversedgefarms

Chirping
Dec 18, 2016
just wondering if anyone knows the likelihood of chickens having strokes. We have one chicken who’s roughly 4-5 and when we came into the coop tonight she was just laying on the ground. She has her balance and is breathing but is not reacting to anything and will not open her eyes

I am not certain about strokes, but they can/do have heart attacks. By any chance is her comb purplish colored ?

Since she has passed away we have another hen that is seeming a little off. She had a really runny white poop, almost like diarrhea. She is still alert but is acting strange. Any ideas?

Is the current temps where you live quite low? I’ve had an older hen (6 years old) die when the first cold snap occurred. I should have been paying attention to temps, but she had fought hypothermia twice before, plus ailment for months which required tube feeding to get her through. She was absolutely fine throughout summer and fall, but it was the first night of freezing temps that killed her. She had just been through too much I think, and it weakened her systems.

The white bit of chicken’s poop are urates- essentially it’s pee, though chickens don’t pee like we do. Is any part of it yellow? That means infection. Is it greenish? That could be bile, meaning they aren’t eating enough, or no food is passing through. Diarrhea could mean pain- any panting?

You’ll have to describe more as to what “acting strange” means. That might give more clues. Have you felt for lumps and bumps? Any swelling? A dark blackish comb could be a heart issue, but couple that with liquidy expulsions with urates, I’m wondering if she was egg Bound? Did you see her straining?

Back
Top Bottom