Chicken being pecked on at night

mottocytie

Chirping
Jan 17, 2024
Hey all, so I have a chicken being pecked on a lot, mostly only during the night time. She’s always afraid to go into the coop which is why she enters last. She is a different breed from the others. Today I saw the other hen which is a leghorn pecking on her legs! She has no injuries so far but I’m not sure if it’s normal chicken behavior to peck before they all settle in for the night. But it’s just the one hen who gets picked on. Also I’m assuming chickens don’t have night vision so I hope she doesn’t get pecked on all night. Anything I can do to help this?

How much roost space do they have? You can try roost dividers made out of cardboard.
Around ten inches per chicken, thanks for the idea, I’ve thought about that but not sure if they huddle together at night because that would make it harder for them.

They really don't huddle together for warmth. Think of being out at a football game in parkers - your coat traps your heat, not your neighbor. At best when you huddle together, you block the wind. In the coop, the wind should be blocked.

I would put up the cardboard, and then after they roosted, make sure she is away from the others.

Mrs K

They really don't huddle together for warmth. Think of being out at a football game in parkers - your coat traps your heat, not your neighbor. At best when you huddle together, you block the wind. In the coop, the wind should be blocked.

I would put up the cardboard, and then after they roosted, make sure she is away from the others.

Mrs K
Oh ok thanks for the info on that, will surely try that then!

Back
Top Bottom