Chicken birth control???

Sigma T

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 23, 2008
Silk Hope, NC
Hi all,

I just posted about my chicken who had a bad prolapse. I went on-and-on about the traumatizing experience and then realized my question might be missed in the long post! So, here I'll try again:

Is there such a thing as chicken birth control?

Thanks!
Stacey

Other than taking the roo away? Not that I know of. I know someone that had her hen get a hysterectomy (I think that's what she said) due to medical issues, but she died soon after. (There were other issues.) It was extremely expensive.

Do you mean as far as eggs not being fertile or not laying at all? I don't really know a way to keep her from laying and aggravating the prolapse, besides withholding nutrition which is not a good solution.

Quote:
I'm not sure why you are thinking this.....and I'm sure someone will correct me if i am wrong
smile.png
BUT that would not have any effect on prolapse anyway. The chicken would still lay eggs which is the real issue with prolapse. Right??
hu.gif

Sigma T is looking for ideas on keeping her hen from laying eggs to prevent further prolapse issues. The hen has already had very expensive prolapse surgery at the vet's office and has had a second prolapse since the surgery.

I know you didn't mention having a roo, but it seems that the term "birth control" led to the answers you are getting are about roos.
idunno.gif

Caponizing a roo won't prevent a hen from having a prolapse problem. Egg laying is NOT dependent on having a roo.

Sigma T, I have not heard of any sort of drug that can be given to a hen to prevent her from laying eggs. Have you discussed this with your vet?

I'm not sure keeping her in the dark the rest of her life is the best thing for her - unless you plan on supplementing Vit D.

Thanks everyone for your posts! It got some much needed smiles from them!

"Overrun with chickens" is right, I need to prevent her from laying eggs while she recovers from the prolapse. Poor little thing is living in my husband's office at the moment pretty much in the dark to hopefully stop the egg production. Thank you for the vitamin D suggestion, I definitely will supplement her with this.

Unfortunately neither vet knew how to stop her from laying which is why I was hoping someone in this forum may have come across this. Maybe the stress of the prolapse and the dark will be enough, thankfully she is eating, drinking and pooping just fine so I am very hopeful.

Keep the suggestions coming and I'll keep you all updated on her progress.

Stacey

How about a histerectomy through your vet for your chicken.

I recently dispatched my meat birds and while forgetting which one was the rooster, I needed to take care of his roosterhood, and found it quite interesting that these "girls" had small versions of the egg production system.

I would assume that at some point when your girl prolapses again that the Vet could snip and cauterize the left overs to prevent further infection or egg laying.

(most positive that I see this simplified then the actual removal of the organs...) Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom