Chicken bleeding - feather picking

Figure out who the bully feather-picker is, and give his/her beak a trim. Use the large toenail clippers, and nip off only the TIP end of the top beak only. Then you'll see a little curved gap there - this gap allows the feather being picked to slip through! Clipping a tiny bit of the beak is painless, and it grows back. Don't go too far, or it will bleed.

Of course, if anybody's bleeding, you'll have to separate them - when chickens 'see red' they have to pick at it - - - - Hope this helps all of your picking problems - - - - -

oh thank you!!
big_smile.png

Could somebody please help me? I think that maybe
the other chickens are pecking my chook but I'm not sure
because I haven't seen it so I think they're just falling
off . My poor chook has got a red patch showing on her
neck, her tail is all droopy and she's got feathers
missing all over her! also none of the other chooks
seem to have this problem so please could somebody
tell me what to do??
sad.png

ours have developed this problem, they did it some then it really has gotten bad when we went to organic feed, we had them on a 20% feed but the organic is only available in 16%
having found this thread I just gave them meal worms in yogurt and will do this for a while to see if it helps, I will also switch back to the non organic 20% pellets.

I have never used Neosporin on my chickens but I have used it on my hawks and falcons for decades, it works very well.
there is a new spray type neosporin which I like better for using on birds as the ointment style can muck up the feathers

ours have developed this problem, they did it some then it really has gotten bad when we went to organic feed, we had them on a 20% feed but the organic is only available in 16%
having found this thread I just gave them meal worms in yogurt and will do this for a while to see if it helps, I will also switch back to the non organic 20% pellets.
oh and and update on our girls after switching to the 20 percent feed and supplementing with meal worms several times a week our girls are now in perfect plumage

Back
Top Bottom