Chicken Bonding

chickensruletb

Hatching
Aug 16, 2016
I had two chickens and one just past away sadly. I'm pretty sure that she had a disease that can be spread very easily. My other chicken is older and she can't get it because of her age. I would like to get her a pal because she is lonely but I'm afraid if I get another chicken she could get the disease and die too. So do you think I could get a different type of animal? Like a duck maybe? Or maybe if I get a older chicken?

I'm no expert but, I think a lot of diseases that effect chickens - don't bother dogs, cats,(mammals) etc. I would think poultry could have diseases that would spread between species. It's something you vet might know a lot about but, if you don't know what your bird had - couldn't help much.

I think old birds would be especially unable to fight diseases the same with young chicks being very vulnerable.

Hi and welcome to BYC. Personally, i would cull the existing bird and start again. Your existing older hen may not necessarily exhibit symptoms of a disease, but, if its viral she is likely to be a carrier and thus spread it to other chickens. I don't mean to sound harsh, and i apologise if my suggestion offends you - that is not my intention - i am simply speaking from experience.

I guess there's no harm in getting another chicken and seeing how things go - since you don't have a large flock, it would not be the end of the world. Another chicken is the best way to go, in terms of species, I would think.

Good luck
CT

Greetings from Kansas and :welcome. Great to have you aboard. I agree with CTKen - don't "go big" and get a bunch of birds. Get one and see if it contracts whatever the sick one had. If it's all okay then you can expand your flock again. Good luck to you!

Thank you guys for your help. I will try all of these answers and hopefully succeed! Wish me luck
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom