Chicken bones as feed

SA gardener

Songster
May 23, 2020
Johannesburg, South Africa
I read a research paper that said that chicken bones are :
15.7% protein and
14.3 % mineral
This means it is a valuable resource. It can be ground up and used to supplement plants with calcium, nitrogen and many other nutrients. But requires decomposition for these nutrients to be released and that is anywhere from 6 weeks to a year in soil. But I was thinking maybe giving bones to actual laying hens was a quicker way to "recycle" these nutrients.
Can I chop cooked chicken bones up to a fine size then feed them to the chickens ?
I know that they may choke if the pieces are too big. But I can chop them to less than 2/8 of an inch squares. The chicken seem to love it, but I want to make sure it's alright from a nutritional perspective and also whether chickens are capable of breaking down the bones in their stomach assuming I give them very little every week ( 20 grams/chicken/week).

I guess you can grind them up but I don't see the effort justifying the work unless you are using a powered grinder and have a large amount of bones. I wouldn't feed them any sharp bones just chopped up.

I make bone broth which is extended simmering of bones, skin and cartilage, either in a crock pot or pressure cooker. They are so soft you can crumble them with your fingers. Why not make yourself some world class stock first?
I give it to my chickens in small amounts. They love it and I hate throwing stuff away that has nutritional value! Trying to compost bones and meat scraps isn’t worth it because of the pests they invite.
Good question by the way, I’ve been dying to talk about this! :gig

I make bone broth which is extended simmering of bones, skin and cartilage, either in a crock pot or pressure cooker. They are so soft you can crumble them with your fingers. Why not make yourself some world class stock first?
I give it to my chickens in small amounts. They love it and I hate throwing stuff away that has nutritional value! Trying to compost bones and meat scraps isn’t worth it because of the pests they invite.
Thanks , I also hate wasting food, what I don't eat goes to chickens and what they don't eat or cannot eat goes into the compost heap.

Do you chop up these bones or just feed them the way they are after simmering. I make bone broth all the time and never thought to feed the bones to the chickens. Do you feed everything that was simmering? Thanks!

Do you chop up these bones or just feed them the way they are after simmering. I make bone broth all the time and never thought to feed the bones to the chickens. Do you feed everything that was simmering? Thanks!
I add a little vinegar to the broth by the way. The bones should be soft enough to break it crumble with your fingers. Yes it is an ugly looking mess but I only give them a small amount. I do the bones and remove them before I add the aromatics, the onion butts, carrot peels, celery strings etc... It seems most of the fats are rendered out. To answer your question more directly, Yes. But I wouldn’t give them big fatty globs if I were to see any. I keep it in the fridge and give a small handful ( I only have 4 hens right now) each morning.

Back
Top Bottom