Chicken Breaking All Her Feathers :( HELP

I've had chickens for about 5 years also. I had researched and read a lot about plucking feathers about 5 months ago because for the first time, one of my girls started doing it. I originally thought she was only plucking, but after reading the information and a taking closer look at what she was doing, I realized she was plucking and eating them. She was receiving high protein food as well as mealworms. However, I was also giving her a fair amount of bread because she loves it so much. Unfortunately, I had to take away her bread for the most part, but it did stop once I did. Good luck.
I haven't seen any correlation between my chickens if they have scraps and if they don't. I give meal worms + sunflowers seeds + high protein diet with some greens or fruit/veggie scraps. I try not to give too many carbs. I hope I can figure out what's going on with mine soon!

Can you post some pictures of the birds?
IMG_3286.JPG
Here are some photos!

Attachments

• IMG_3287.JPG
    IMG_3287.JPG
    865 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3288.JPG
    IMG_3288.JPG
    525.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3289.JPG
    IMG_3289.JPG
    906.2 KB · Views: 4
Try just giving them their chicken food, minus the treats-the sunflower seeds and meal worms. They don’t need the extra treats-the food has all they need. See if that makes a difference—plus add some boredom busters (not food) like a log or other clutter in their pen.

Are you positive that you have all hens? Have to ask, looks a lot like rooster/cockerel damage. If you don't have a roo then either a hen is doing mounting behaviour, or you have feather picking going on. I would stop all treats for a while, just give them their feed. You can mix it with water to make a mash for a treat. I would also do some observing, check when they go to roost in the evening, watch them for periods during the day. Try adding some boredom busters (you can search for idea's). See if you can expand the run to give them more space. Space on paper is an estimate, the birds behaviour is what really matters. What is enough for one group of birds may be too small for another group.

Back
Top Bottom