Chicken Breath with Open Mouth ( for two month now)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by blugraphic, Feb 26, 2013.

1. blugraphic

blugraphic Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2012
    My little chicken have been having breathing difficulties since 2 month. it seems like a chronic respiratory infection !
    she breathes really hard especially after doing a little effort. I sometime look at her at night and find her breathing from mouth.
    i've been giving her antibiotics for all this 2 month both doesn't seem to get better !
    i don't what to do have anyone of you guys experienced such similar thing ?
    PLEASE HELP !

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Have you tried Apple Cider Vinegar in the water?

What do you use for bedding?

Do you use too much diatomacious earth in your coop?

Where do you live...?

I know... too many questions.

3. blugraphic

Oct 2, 2012
    Thanks for your reply.

i have only this chick. I hatched her at home with 2 others.
    the 1st died suddenly as if it was a heart attack !! we where watching her playing and suddenly she died !
    the 2nd had some breathing difficulties symptoms and also breathed with open beak the she died.
    this is the third one and she was the strongest of them all. But now and for 2 month she is breathing with open beak. she is so friendly she always wants to sit beside me !

i put her on the balcony during the day and at night i put her in a box with sand underneath for bedding.

i live in Beirut, Lebanon

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]am sorry i dont know what you mean by [/FONT]diatomacious earth

THanks

4. blugraphic

Oct 2, 2012
    heyy any ideas ??
    thanks

5. Tanith BHH

Tanith BHH Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2012
    Very likely to be gape worm, one of mine had it. same symptoms. Shine a bright torch down her beak and you'll probably see a red patch down her throat. Do lots of research on the best treatment for this (the powder in the food is the best option because the liquid stuff often doesn't work. I killed my hen basically by using a treatment that didn't work, it was so awful.) Keep her warm and dust for mites and lice to keep up her strength. Don't let her tire herself out either. I would strongly advice going to the vet IMMEDIATELY. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by