Chicken Breed Focus - Brakel

The hens are calmer than Campine hens,they are very friendly and like to run in your way when you are in their pen.
They get very tame when you use treats an if you are calm around them.
I now have 4 roosters of this breed, but still have my original one to.

Beautiful !

The "Kempische Brakel" does not exist anymore and is absorbed into the Brakel,but some lines still look very much like them.
The Campine they imported again is not a Kempische Brakel but an English breed wich whas developed from Kempische Brakels and Hamburgs :)

Looks a lot like an Egyptian

I was reading an article that speculated that their color pattern might indicate that they were related to the Egyptian Fayoumis. The Crusades ran roughly from the 11th Century to the 15th Century. All the campaigns resulted in bringing new breeds of animals, plants and goods back to Europe where they made an impact on the agriculture and trade. Rarely did enough of one animal come that it could be established in purity but instead was bred with a native breed and new breeds or an "upgrade" of the breed was obtained. For instance, the reason that the Percheron horse (a heavy draft breed) has such a delicate Arab like face (in comparison to other heavy draft breeds) is thought to be the result of captured Arabians that were brought back to France during the Crusades.

I have not read of more recent (this has been a theory since the 1970's at least) studies that now can include DNA analysis that can prove relationships between populations. If anyone else has please post links. Medieval agriculture history is a passion of mine.

I have heard the Hambergs called the every day layer but never heard of the Brakel.Interesting

The Brakel or Braekel chicken breed [COLOR=252525] is one of the older European chicken breeds. Its history dates back to 1416, when it was mentioned as a successful poultry breed of the Brakel region, in Belgium, from which it took it's name. Brakels are similar to the Campine breed, which originated in Antwerp in the northern part of Belgium. Brakel and Campine females look very similar, but Brakel males have normal cock feathering, whilst Campine males have hen feathering which distinguishes the two, together with subtle differences in weight, the Brakel being the heavier of the two.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=252525]Two distinct types of Braekel were recognized in the past: the large type living on rich clay soil Flanders, and a light-weight type from the less fertile region, the Kempen. Due to crossbreeding between the different types, this distinction vanished, resulting in a single type. [/COLOR]
[COLOR=252525]Old names for the breed are "The Everyday Layer", "The Grey White Neck" and "The Nuns Hen". [/COLOR]
[COLOR=252525]Details:[/COLOR] [COLOR=252525]Purpose: Egg production[/COLOR] [COLOR=252525]Egg laying: 180-200 white eggs annually [/COLOR] [COLOR=252525]Weight: Cock - 7 lb; Hen - 6 lb[/COLOR] [COLOR=252525]Colours/Varieties: Silver; Gold (Standardised in the UK)[/COLOR]

All pics by @SimonV BYC Breed Discussion: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/846278/brakel-and-related-breeds-thread/0_30
[COLOR=000000]Do you own Brakels? Are you a Brakel breeder? If so, please reply to this thread with the your thoughts and experiences, including:[/COLOR]
[COLOR=000000] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=000000]· [COLOR=000000]What made you decide to get this breed?[/COLOR][/COLOR]
[COLOR=000000]· [COLOR=000000]Do you own them for fun? Breeding? Some other purpose?[/COLOR][/COLOR]
[COLOR=000000]· [COLOR=000000]What are your favorite characteristics about this breed?[/COLOR][/COLOR]
[COLOR=000000]· [COLOR=000000]Post some pics of your birds; male/female, chicks, eggs, etc![/COLOR][/COLOR]
I was offered some eggs to hatch if I wanted. I said sure and now I am waiting to see if he will follow threw. We will see, when I do I will let you know. Thank you...

I know this is an old thread but I was lucky and adopted a silver Braekel cockerel at 7 weeks old last year from a friend who somehow came across an egg from someone in PA that she hatched. I love that bird immensely but he does go after my children and he's building nerve. I found someone willing to take him...and give him back should my situation change where I can ensure no access to my small children. She's part of a sort of co-op of chicken enthusiasts and all the girls involved have their chosen breeds. I liked her immediately and would live to stay in touch with her. ..maybe even participate in their circle. Once we move, I'm leaning towards Blue Copper Marans, Bielefelders, and silver Braekels. But since Greenfire lost their stock, I have no clue where to get quality Braekel hens/roos. @SimonV doesn't appear to have been active on here in a long time and I don't know of anyone involved with the breed. So posting just in case someone stumbles on this thread and knows of someone in the US with quality silver Braekels....

Back
Top Bottom