1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken Breed Focus - Chantecler

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by sumi, Jan 28, 2016.

1. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

I have just added lights to mine a couple weeks ago. I want eggs for hatching to set around the first of March.

I weighed 2 eggs last night, These are the first eggs from the birds after their "rest period". They were 1.60 and 1.65 ounces. So the eggs are not huge, but the breed seems to have enough other plusses to make them a great addition to my flock.

I am not in the egg business, I have a few egg customers, but I give away as many as I sell. I only get 3 bucks a dozen when I sell them. I mix colors and sizes. They are straight run eggs!

I have blue, green, and all shades of brown in my cartons, the people that buy my eggs know my chickens are free range, drug and medication free. They see the birds running all over the yard. They stand and watch the chickens. To them those things are more important than a 1/5 of an ounce more liquid.

2. chickenshiha

chickenshiha Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    palestine
    very good birds I have 3 now 1 year old and 2 of them went broody in summer but they don't do well in hot climates good winter hardy laying birds I used to think they were game birds till 7 months ago still not sure how the get broody I guess that's from the cochin breed but leghorns and rir don't and fat birds but flightly (at least mine are) could be from the leghorns and RIR great birds though just wondering im still new to this breed and doing research on them

3. bruceha2000

bruceha2000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    NW Vermont
    Where did you get your PCs? My Ideal Hatchery PCs were not big birds and I wouldn't have considered them "dual breed".

How old are your PCs and how long have they been laying? If they are pullets, the eggs will likely get somewhat larger. I measure in grams as does the USDA. 1.65 oz is only about halfway into the USDA Small range (44 g to 50 g). Small eggs do have their uses though, like when you want to make a half recipe of something that needs 1 Large egg [​IMG]

4. spoikey

spoikey Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2012
    I have 5 PC'c and they are great birds. They will be 2 late this spring snd go broody quite often. One of their chicks grew into a big beautiful rooster that looks like a PC rooster. He is very attentive to the hens even though he's not even close to being a year old yet. I don't light my coop but get plenty of eggs every day though I have other chickens too. Very seldom do I go into the coop and at least one is busy laying an egg.

5. uncertainty

uncertainty Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2015
    Great White North
    I am having difficulty identifying a nearby source for the day olds I want for spring 2016. I am in the Edmonton, Alberta region. Suggestions gratefully received. Thanks.

6. chant

chant Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2016
    N. FL. USA
    We live in N. FL. and currently have 3 Partridge chantecler hens, and they seem to adapt. We've had them for 2 yrs so far. The stagnant, humid summers here are like the waiting room for hell so I put shallow bowls out in the shade for extra water and they like to wade in it and it seems to help. We haven't lost any due to heat. So I ordered some more that'll be in here the middle of Feb.

7. Banaynaychicken

Banaynaychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2015
    Vail, AZ
    Does this cute baby look liek one? I just got her today, and I was told she is an Amueracauna , but I know better. Having a hard time finding her breed though.. Shes not a gold laced or orphington. so what could she be? Possibly one of these cute Chanteclers?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    The creator of the Chantecler breed only used white. The brown Albertan was created later by another person from different stock. Only problem was, when the Albertan was submitted to th APA for approval, the APA decided they were Partridge Chanteclers. Any breed purist will tell you the only true Chantecler is White. The Partridges are Albertans by science and specific breeding. Any other color than those 2 is a mongrel bird. If you want a true Chantecler, then you must get the White bird. Only the stroke of a pen, not heritage or breeding, made the Albertan a Partridge Chantecler.
    Best Regards,
    Karen

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
    2 people like this.
  9. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop

10. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

While I completely agree they are not the same breed, developed by different people. I do disagree they are not both Chanticlers. One is partridge chanticleer the other is simply White chanticleer or simply chanticler.

It is just semantics and however the name partridge chanticler came about (yes, I know the story) They are now Partridge chantilcers, the OP did not differentiate. So neither did we. I have no other chanticler to compare the Partridge chanticlers too, but I sure consider them to be Partridge chanticlers.

Had the APA decided to call one or both the breeds Poodles I would be calling them poodles today. It is impossible to say one is a chanticler and the other is not IMHO, Respectfully submitted.

The white chanticler is made up of Dark Cornishes, White Leghorns, Rhode Island Reds, White Plymouth Rocks and White Wyandottes, That kind of makes it a mongrel too then.

BTW I do not get to hung up on names, I have nicknames for most the breeds I own.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by