Chicken Breed Focus - Dorking

New pictures that were taken today of my little Silver Grey Dorking's that I'm growing out.

IMG_5742.jpg
IMG_5744.jpg
IMG_5746.jpg
IMG_5748.jpg
IMG_5750.jpg

I have been noticing how quick that the Dorking's are, even having those short leg's on them. They basically like to hang out together. They scratch around for the food and such almost all day, and they are good for eating the bug's (including black ant's). When treats are brought in to them, they usually beat the bigger member's of the flock to it, grab some and then run off with the prize. They are very fun to watch.

I'm planning on getting some from IDEAL next spring (planning on 4 girls and 8 males, keep the girls and the best male and eat the other 7). Is there anything specific i should be prepared with them as chicks? Like extra fragility, or health problems?

I'm planning on getting some from IDEAL next spring (planning on 4 girls and 8 males, keep the girls and the best male and eat the other 7). Is there anything specific i should be prepared with them as chicks? Like extra fragility, or health problems?

No, they were like any other chick. I got them when they were old enough to be outside though (4 week's old), so I put them in my grow-out pen so that the bigger one's in my flock couldn't get to them. The one's that I have came from Murry McMurrys.

No, they were like any other chick. I got them when they were old enough to be outside though (4 week's old), so I put them in my grow-out pen so that the bigger one's in my flock couldn't get to them. The one's that I have came from Murry McMurrys.
Yeah, I had looked at Murray McMurray, but their straight run was more expensive than the sexes pullets at IDEAL. With my luck, I'd get 12 st. Run and get 12 males 😅

Yeah, I had looked at Murray McMurray, but their straight run was more expensive than the sexes pullets at IDEAL. With my luck, I'd get 12 st. Run and get 12 males 😅

In this batch that I have, it was pullet's that the person I bought them from had ordered from there, but the cockerel got thrown in with them. That's ok though, because I needed one for those girl's.

Back
Top Bottom