1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken Breed Focus - Hamburg

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by sumi, Nov 26, 2015.

1. Free as a Bird

Free as a Bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2014
    New England
    I had one Hamburg in my first flock. I got her randomly in a mixed group. I would not recommend this breed for beginners, but she was my favorite in that flock! She was so beautiful and very smart. I loved how clever she was but she did sometimes outsmart us. She would hide her eggs all over our yard. Also, she was very flighty. She even got up onto our roof at one point! A Hamburg would still make a great addition to any flock!

2. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Thank you! I couldn't agree more about that beautiful tail. So impressive.[​IMG]
    Thanks so much! I have to admit, I also think she's lovely. But that could be attributed to my severe bias. [​IMG]

-Alex

3. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

4. applebutter14

applebutter14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2014
    Iowa
    i own a silver spangled hamburg and i named her dotty, i purchased dotty from murray mcmurray hatchery as a chick. i picked her breed out because i thought she would be good to show, but i also have her as a pet. i love dotty's voice, its very quite and it almost is like a pidgin coo. she is very pretty and she lays white eggs.

this is her as a chick she is on the right

. [​IMG]

this is her when she was like 5 or 6 months old

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Lilytron

Lilytron New Egg

Aug 23, 2015
    Wow, they're so pretty! I'm definitely going to add them to my flock [​IMG]

6. chicksurreal

chicksurreal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2013
    Arizona
    I LOVE my Hamburgs. We started with 15 of them from Murray McMurray in our first flock (Silver Spangled), and I'm so glad we got them. We have 6 remaining of the original flock and two offspring from them. We have a terrible problem with predators here and since we free range during the day there have been casualties, but the six girls we still have are very savvy and know how to hide very well.

They are definitely a high maintenance breed, lots of rousting them from trees before bed and trying to keep up whith where they were free-ranging during the day. They even climb the mountain next to our home and travel up and down the creek bed on the other side of the property (sometimes for 1/4 mile or more, Lol! They are very flighty even though we handled them daily as chicks, but they will eat out of my hand and are great egg layers. I hope I'm never with out at least a few in one of my flocks.

Here are a few pictures of some of our Hamburgs, past and present.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    @chicksurreal the 3rd photo down sure shows what a beautiful flock they make. Very eye-catching with all the black and white patterns.

8. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    She is really pretty and that is a beautiful pic of her [​IMG]

9. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Thank you so much, @sumi ! [​IMG]

-Alex

10. PDPercherons

PDPercherons Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2014
    Central Michigan
    Coincidentally I just sent an Andalusian/Hamburg pullet to her new home. Just as flighty as her mom, smaller like the hamburg. Basically she got the color. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by