Chicken Breed Focus - Iowa Blue

Thank you for putting Iowa Blues back on focus! I was first interested in them a couple of years ago but the word on them was not encouraging from the few people I talked to, totally different from what you all are saying. Glad to read a different perspective!

I got a couple of Iowa Blues a couple of years ago, got one left from them. Only thing with them is that they're a little smaller than average, and they produce a smaller egg. That and the last Iowa hen I have has been picked on a lot over the winter here. seems to be less of an issue for her now with the nicer weather and them more interested going outside instead of harassing her if she gets off of the perch.

The Iowa Blue is an American breed that was developed in the early 1900's near Decorah, Iowa by John Logsdon. The original stock came in a unique form of the silver penciled pattern that made the hens appear to be a blue-grey color from a distance, hence the name. It was available through the 1960’s from several hatcheries, but it lost popularity and was nearly extinct before several dedicated breeders began efforts to preserve the remaining flocks in the 1980’s. It is currently undergoing a re-surge in popularity. The Iowa Blue breed club is currently working on fulfilling the requirements for APA recognition, they anticipate meeting the requirements by 2017.

The Iowa Blue is a dual-purpose bird, exceptional foragers with good predator awareness, and the roosters are good flock protectors especially against hawks. The hens are good layers, will go broody and are good mothers. They are an excellent breed for the homesteader and are becoming more popular with the backyard flock owner looking for a friendly productive brown egg layer.

A number of different breeds have gone into its make up, originally including Black Minorca, Rhode Island Red, White Rocks, and legend has it, a pheasant cock was used to produce the original stock.
It is currently found in four colors, Silver, Charcoal, Smoky and Birchen. They are single combed with medium sized comb and wattles. They are quite weather hardy, tolerating both heat and cold.

Details:

Breed purpose: Dual purpose.
Comb Type: Single, medium-large sized.
Broodiness: Occasional, good mothers.
Climate Tolerance: Good, hardy in both heat and cold.
Weight: Proposed standard calls for roosters 8 lbs, hens 7 lbs.
Egg Productivity: Good.
Egg Size: Medium-Large
Egg Colour: Brown
Note: They are available from Ideal Poultry.

Iowa Blue Flock picture @karimw

Iowa Blue Hen picture @brucelanthier

Iowa Blue Rooster picture @brucelanthier

Iowa Blue Chicks picture @Iowablu

They have also been immortalized with a five foot cast aluminum statue; Iowa Blue: The Urbane Chicken, nicknamed “Betsy Blue” part of the Iowa River Landing Sculpture Walk in Coralville, Iowa.

"Betsy Blue" picture @Hurley

Link to the BYC Breed reviews:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/iowa-blue

Link to the Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the Standard of Perfection thread:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/469317/iowa-blues-breed-thread-and-discussion/0_20

Link to the General breed discussions & FAQ thread:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/823838/iowa-blue-chickens-understanding-the-traditional-type/0_20

Do you own Iowa Blues? Are you an Iowa Blue breeder? If so, please reply to this thread with the your thoughts and experiences, including:

· What made you decide to get this breed?
· Do you own them for fun? Breeding? Some other purpose?
· What are your favorite characteristics about this breed?
· Post some pics of your birds; male/female, chicks, eggs, etc!

We have a bunch of other awesome breed-focus threads for you to enjoy. You can see all of them here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chicken-breed-focus-project.975504/
I want to start a flock of Iowa Blues, how can I find true Iowa's as I live in TN and would need chicks to be shipped via mail. I know people say they have true breeds but that's not always accurate unfortunately. I love rare heritage breeds an want to help preserve them. I have Salmon Faverolles now and want the Iowa's to be my 2nd flock. Thank you

I want to start a flock of Iowa Blues, how can I find true Iowa's as I live in TN and would need chicks to be shipped via mail. I know people say they have true breeds but that's not always accurate unfortunately. I love rare heritage breeds an want to help preserve them. I have Salmon Faverolles now and want the Iowa's to be my 2nd flock. Thank you
We are in Michigan, www.fivewiregroup.com. We have Iowa Blues and can ship chicks or eggs. Iowa eggs from our flock have a poor hatch rate after shipping though. Let us know if we can help. You are close enough we may even be able to sell some adult poultry as well.
Candy

I am glad to hear that :)
160359705_10108300286900535_8791177585617944227_n.jpg

Actually caught her in the nest box today. I was out there in the pen talking to my brother today and he was saying some mean nasty things that could be done to her. Guess she decided that she better look busy.

We are in Michigan, www.fivewiregroup.com. We have Iowa Blues and can ship chicks or eggs. Iowa eggs from our flock have a poor hatch rate after shipping though. Let us know if we can help. You are close enough we may even be able to sell some adult poultry as well.
Candy
Thank you, I'm sorry it took so long for me to get back to you, I've had 3 deaths in my family over the last 5 months. It's been a little overwhelming. Anyway I do not have a incubator so it would have to be chicks maybe some adults too. I would love to have at least 12 hen chicks and a roo chick. How much are your chicks? Thank you for reaching out and again I apologize for not responding sooner

Thank you, I'm sorry it took so long for me to get back to you, I've had 3 deaths in my family over the last 5 months. It's been a little overwhelming. Anyway I do not have a incubator so it would have to be chicks maybe some adults too. I would love to have at least 12 hen chicks and a roo chick. How much are your chicks? Thank you for reaching out and again I apologize for not responding sooner
I think that the one thing that we can all agree on is that it's been a pretty crazy year.

Back
Top Bottom