Chicken Breed Focus - Jersey Giant

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by sumi, Jul 23, 2015.

1. wamtazlady

wamtazlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Kalispell MT
    I only ordered the Jersey Giants because the lady who was going to chick sit for me early this year wanted some. When we split the chicks I only took one Giant. She has turned out to be my favorite of the 8 different breeds I got. She's friendly, not skittish. She's the boss hen but doesn't feel the need to beat up on the others. She is boss because she has a commanding personality. When I go outside she comes running and follows me around. Unexpectedly, she is also the second of the hens to lay. The leghorn as I expected was first. Her black plumage with the green tint is positively lovely.

1 person likes this.
  2. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    I own a Blue Jersey Giant. I'm using him over some of my Naked Neck hens to improve size in my line of Nsked Necks.

I have the blue variety because that was ehat was available. I really and truly want the Ehite variety but cannot find any locally.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  3. ARose4Heaven

ARose4Heaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Flippin, AR
    I have a blue jersey giant hen. She is small for her breed, but still the largest hen in the house, and Henrietta knows it. She is Da Boss. I have a terrible time keeping her out of the cat food! She intimidates the kittens, the dogs, and the rooster. She is a great layer and is trying to figure out if she wants to be my friend or not. I got her from a friend as a hatchling. She accidently mixed a black JG roo over something else and voila! Here's Henrietta!

4. mcrooke45

mcrooke45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    New Market, TN
    Those tubs make great nests. I just cut out one end. I have them sitting on top of a couple of 2x4s that's on some cinder blocks to keep them up off the ground. I put a few screws on the inside of each one on them on the inside to secure them to the boards. That's all. Simple nests that work great!

5. ebeagle35

ebeagle35 Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2015
    What size is small, all my bigs are dual purpose but my legbars and sex links. Do you consider these breeds to be small?

6. GitaBooks

GitaBooks Overrun With Chickens

Jun 23, 2015
    USA
    What made you decide to get this breed?
    I love variety in my flock, and I heard that Jersey Giants were friendly, hardy, and unique. I loved that they were so large in size.

Do you own them for fun? Breeding? Some other purpose?

Certainly for fun, though I also use my birds for meat, eggs, and I do breed them (most of these chicks we use for meat or eggs).

What are your favorite characteristics about this breed?

Its large size. [​IMG]

Mrs. Potter at a month and a half of age (Black Giant from McMurray)

[​IMG]

Yosemite at the same age and from the same place (she is shy and not very active, as if she is just observing the "immature antics" of her younger siblings)
    [​IMG]

7. crazychicken5

crazychicken5 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2015
    I have one JG, and she's twice as old as my other hens, she was the sole survivor f a fox attack, but when we introduced her to the flock she fit right in. she is the sweetest most mellow chicken I have ever met. Her name is Ruby. I would definitely recommend this breed to others.

8. maruadventurer

maruadventurer Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2013
    Couple pics of the JG's --

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All 10 weeks old.
    22 in this flock. Balance are kinda shy.

9. maruadventurer

maruadventurer Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2013
    One recommendation, for those considering the JG's is color. I have blacks and I do notice that in the heat of the day they do get stressed. They have a kiddie pool and they will stand in it for quite some time cooling off. Whites might be a better choice if you are in the South.

10. bruceha2000

bruceha2000 Chicken Obsessed

Apr 19, 2012
    NW Vermont
    Trade ya! Except you are too far away. I'm pretty convinced the 2 "Black Australorps" I got from Meyer (hatched June 8) are Jersey Giants given their VERY yellow feet. Not a breed I wanted at all. We don't eat the chickens so their "roasting size" will be nothing but a food burner disadvantage in the winter when they can't forage and they aren't likely to lay as well as BAs do - in general. My big BA isn't a great layer but her "sister" is my BEST layer, closely followed by an EE. Hopefully I will be happily surprised and being hatchery chicks they won't get HUGE and will lay better than I expect.

I don't think any chicken likes "high noon" heat. My adult hens range in color from red splash to brown to black and white to all black. All of mine, including the 2 Cubalayas (if not obvious from the name, they originated in Cuba) and the Anconas, also "warm climate" birds, hide from the mid day sun. They will be in the barn or under a tree, lilac bush or the deck but NONE of them will be wandering around away from shade.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by