Chicken Breed Focus - Plymouth Rock

Pics
[COLOR=000000]· [COLOR=000000]What made you decide to get this breed?[/COLOR] [COLOR=000000]I originally wanted a small mixed flock (one Barred Rock, one Buff Orpington, and one Rhode Island Red) as I've never kept chickens before and wanted to get a feel for a variety of breeds (plus I'm in town so didn't want to get too crazy with flock size), but there was a major chick shortage in my area around the time I was looking to start my flock. There were only five two-day old Barred Rock chicks at one feed store within about a 50-mile radius (I drove to and/or called countless places and no one had any other chicks). Barred Rocks were my one "must have" breed because I've always liked the looks of them, so I bought three to start...then felt bad about leaving the last two behind so I went back and got them too...I figured five would give me insurance in case one or two didn't make it or turned out to be roos...All five turned out to be pullets and were quite healthy and growing quickly so I gave two to a co-worker who has acerage and an existing flock (not to mention was already brooding 60 chicks of her own).[/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=000000]·
[COLOR=000000]Do you own them for fun? Breeding? Some other purpose?[/COLOR] [COLOR=000000]Definitely for fun! I grew up on a farm; had 80 acres that my mom and dad farmed and over the years had many different animals; dogs, cats, horses, snakes (yes, pet snakes), rats, mice (again, pets), but never chickens. I even majored in agriculture in college and now work for USDA but never had any experience with "yard birds". It figures that now that I'm a city dweller I finally have my flock. I'm honestly not even that big of a fan of eggs, but chickens' intelligence and personalities have always intrigued me and I love learning new things...not to mention the free manure and pest removal for my garden. ;)[/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=000000]·
[COLOR=000000]What are your favorite characteristics about this breed?[/COLOR] [COLOR=000000]I agree with what most have already said; I love their fearlessness and curiosity! My girls are only 10 weeks old but they love exploring the patio, yard, and flowerbeds and are undeterred by sniffing dogs (we have two terriers). They also seem to have no interest in flying (and I'm sure that will decrease even further as they grow and get heavier); I was not looking forward to the possibility of wing clipping. They're fairly neat; I have pine pellets in their coop and run and they don't seem to scratch or fling too much out. They're not overly cuddly, but they don't mind being picked up/handled/petted/popped on the rear end to get them moving along (ok, maybe they do mind that last one). ;)[/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=000000]·
[COLOR=000000]Post some pics of your birds; male/female, chicks, eggs, etc![/COLOR][/COLOR]
[COLOR=000000]Fluffy butts! (Never mind the chicken-like dog toy in the background)[/COLOR]

Amy's ready for her closeup! They've even convinced Eddie the Jack Russell to hunt for grubs!
Pretty pullets, looks like they are growing up fast! Glad they all turned out to be girls for you (you almost had chicken math take effect, but you resisted!), bet your friend was happy to get the extra girls.

I am in my first year with my flock.  We decided on 2 each of Barred rocks, New Hampshire red, Rhode Island red, and sex links.  Out of all of them, my Rocks are the first and last to greet us (Bucky is the first, Izzy is the last), the first to explore new areas and treats, and both demand to be held.  No others are that interested in being held, unless it's way past their bedtimes (we had an incident, and everyone acted like over-tired 2 year olds.)  Don't tell the other girls, but they are my favorites.

That sounds like a nice flock, you should get a lot of eggs out of them. We won't tell the Reds and SLs you like the Rocks best!

and Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

My three are You and Ostrich and the roo And :D

Pretty birds, and very funny names!!!

Thanks very much!
I enjoy very much from them and I also get the best eggs in the world! Here an example

The orange are mine! The yellow is an egg from the supermarket.

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, as this was labeled a Plymouth Rock thread but seems to have attracted numerous Barred Rock enthusiasts, what is the difference between a Barred Rock and Plymouth Rock? Is the barring on a Plymouth "closer together" or smaller than the barring found in Barred Rocks? Is there a significant weight difference found between the two breeds? 

I had what I assume was a Plymouth Rock hen for a handful of years. She was one of my first "city hens."  

"Every FORD is a car but not every car is a FORD" I mean that PR is a breed of chickens that have 8 color verities:Barred,Black,Blue,Buff,Colombian,Partridge,Silver-penciled,White.
Only birds that have the Barred pattern on their fathers can be called Barred Plymouth rock.

Thanks very much!
I enjoy very much from them and I also get the best eggs in the world! Here an example
The orange are mine! The yellow is an egg from the supermarket.

Nice orange yolks!

What made you decide to get this breed? I live in the "Banana Belt" of Paradise, CA. It can get a little warm up here in the summer, and get a dusting of snow in the winter. I wanted chickens that were hardy, and good sized, but they won't be served on a plate. Also, I was born in New England, about 50 miles from Plymouth, MA. My aunt kept them at her place in Rochester, MA. Guess I wanted to keep a family tradition alive, even though 3000 miles apart.

Do you own them for fun? Breeding? Some other purpose? I bought them as chicks (4) playing the odds that I would get two hens out of a straight run mix, that's the limit for our town. Got three! Keeping them too. Throw in the eggs, and the fun factor, of watching them grow up from palm-sized to enormous birds. Also, they provide much entertainment. Much better than watching summer re-runs or cable television. No commercial breaks. Not once have any of my birds asked about my health or touted the latest medical discovery, or told me about the great sales going on this Memorial Day weekend that I could not miss!

What are your favorite characteristics about this breed? As chickens go, these are the Einsteins of Gallus Gallus. They aren't as friendly as Orpingtons, but deal well with people invading "their" space. Better survival instincts as a heritage breed. A little more independent. In another life, I would say they would have been cats. Buff Orpingtons, which was my first choice, but the feed store was all out, would have been yellow labs. Just laying there, wanting you to rub their bellies and feed them. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I am just starting and chose 5 chicks of different breeds. 1 is a BR. She, too, is very curious and calm under fire.
The reasons I chose the breeds I have were: 1) calm, so my 5 & 3 yr old gbabes could love them too; 2) cold hardy cause we're in Idaho; 3) decent layers. So far so good...except I think my Sussex might be a roo
1f612.png
Just hope he's relatively quiet and docile or my granddaughter's favorite might be dinner
1f61e.png

Back
Top Bottom